12v only in first gear (auto)

denpo

Carburated Nihilist
I want to power a device only when the car is in first gear.
Is there somewhere I could tap in the harness to achieve this (I'm pretty sure the answer is no).
Otherwise I'll use light or Hall effect sensor, but I want to be sure there is no simpler way.

Radio Shack, burgler alarm magnetic switch and contactor, they are LO current, so they trigger a small 12 volt relay....it's what senses my backup lights on the 200 4r conversion....

told you I was a geek....

:clap:

Well, I was ready to pull out some circuit, but good call on the reuse of readymade cheap item.
Geeky and ghetto* (hence the 'fro)

*in a good way of course :drink:

You could also use a microswitch with a lever arm for actuation. Something like this: http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-1330-ezgo-roller-arm-micro-switch.aspx
You could mount it beside the shift lever (position in 1st) in console?
Yep, that THE other option.
On one hand much simpler if the switch can handle the amp of the device (I it does) you save a relay.
On the other hand you have to have some sort of mechanical setup, that must be precise, smooth and "rugged" at the same time.
I'm gonna give this option a second thought. Thanks

You could also use a microswitch with a lever arm for actuation. Something like this: http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-1330-ezgo-roller-arm-micro-switch.aspx
You could mount it beside the shift lever (position in 1st) in console?
Yep, that THE other option.
On one hand much simpler if the switch can handle the amp of the device (I it does) you save a relay.
On the other hand you have to have some sort of mechanical setup, that must be precise, smooth and "rugged" at the same time.
I'm gonna give this option a second thought. Thanks

My initial thought was NOT having the switch inline with the shift lever, as that could cause engagement prob's. Beside the shift lever would allow rough usage without switch damage too. Also keeping switch inside cabin for better reliability.
If I'm switching a fairly high amp devise, I would rather use a relay for the task.
Can you share your idea as to what you're switching?
:fishing:

His thread title says auto.
What good would connecting a switch to any linkage do?
I assume it's an old 350 or 400 and doesn't even have shift solenoids, it's basically hydraulic.

The 12v source if for powering a proximity parking radar. Last thing geeks wanna do is scratching the eventually new paint while parking.
Still got to check the device exact consumption but I have pretty beefy switches in stock, rated 0.5A at 125vdc. Hell if it's not enough.

Just to be clear, I'm installing 2 proximity sensors, one for the front, one on the back. The rear is already soldered to the backup light 12v source.

Just to be clear, I'm installing 2 proximity sensors, one for the front, one on the back. The rear is already soldered to the backup light 12v source.

U maybe need consider driving lessons????

:crutches::devil::yahoo::goodnight:

You can buy special switches for that.
They have a 2 or 3 inch flexible feeler arm that returns to center. The arm looks like the outer sheathing from a manual choke cable.
Common on forklifts, trucks and construction equipment.
You goiung to wire it to apply the brakes like the newer Mercedes?

They have a 2 or 3 inch flexible feeler arm that returns to center. The arm looks like the outer sheathing from a manual choke cable.
Would you have pic of those? I just don't see what it would look like.
Huh???

Would you have pic of those? I just don't see what it would look like.
I can early next week.

Huh???

Proximity, get to close, the brakes go on. :quote:

I assume it's an old 350 or 400 and doesn't even have shift solenoids, it's basically hydraulic.

I see no reason why it couldn't be done to an auto or manual. Both use a lever....:idea:

Correct.

I've been given an even simpler idea from a CF member : connect the detector to the 12v, and then put the ground on a blade connector on the lever's way. When the connector touch the lever, the lever act as a ground and close the circuit.

I see no reason why it couldn't be done to an auto or manual. Both use a lever....:idea:

Correct.

I've been given an even simpler idea from a CF member : connect the detector to the 12v, and then put the ground on a blade connector on the lever's way. When the connector touch the lever, the lever act as a ground and close the circuit.

Bad practice, electrically, moving parts tend to have grease/oil especially in a car, and therefore that insulates against current flow....the concept is very shakey, failure prone....

Correct.

The same ground circuit could be run thru a switch as well. I prefer to wire most circuits this way when practical.
You could connect to a solid ground, and let the switch do it's thing. IMO, I wouldn't trust grounding a circuit thru a trans shift lever.

Last edited:

Most people drive an auto in "D" so if connected to the shift linkage it would also signal 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
You could just turn it on in the most extreme position, 1st, I just don't see the point. Maybe for tight quarter's parking.

Most people drive an auto in "D" so if connected to the shift linkage it would also signal 1st, 2nd and 3rd.
You could just turn it on in the most extreme position, 1st, I just don't see the point. Maybe for tight quarter's parking.
I might have added that my TH350 has a shift kit, so no more D for me, only 1-2-3.