'97 GMC Sonoma alternator wiring question.

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Helping out my FIL with his alternator issue. He said it wasn't charging so I took a look at it. Everything visually looked fine, so I took the lone (brown)wire going to the regulator out and checked it for switched battery voltage. Nothing. I made a small jumper wire and hooked this regulator pin to battery positive, and started the engine. Bingo, we got 14 volts charging the battery. Problem semi-solved. As there's no stinking way to find the wire break in the harness I was thinking on running a replacement wire to switched 12 volts. However, I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere on the internet to tell me if this wire is zero ohm (but switched and fused), or if it has a specified resistance in it too. I can't figure out what model the damn alternator is, but its shape just looks like the old Chrysler alternators of the 70s.

Can anybody help me out with an answer regarding if this replacement wire needs any impedance in it?

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

Mike, I put a CS144 in the camper, and so the brown wire to goes to a L terminal on the unit, as mine does, only one wire, and so it goes to a idiot light on the dash, other end of the light is switched 12v+........

if you take that to a hard +12 and the alt tries to light the light, you will blast the regulator......

:goodnight: