Axle width

6-71

Anyone know what the axle width is (flange to flange) at normal ride height for a 75 C3? thanks...or better still what should it be for a 9" ford axle replacement? thanks

Last edited:
From rotor to rotor, it's 57 13/16 inches. Rotor to rotor is the mounting surface of the wheels

any idea why my 73 measures 57-3/8" wheel mount flange to wheel mount flange? I measured this tonight. I was curious as to why my passenger side wheel sticks out a 1/4" farther than the driver side. I measured wheel offset & they are the same. I meaured the fender flare edge to the top of the fender crease line & they are the same. I measured the 1/2 shaft axles & they are the same. When I remounted the body, I lined it up using the factory holes in the sill channel/ frame. Would i be crazy to shorten the passenger side half-shart 1/4" to get the wheel tucked up under the fender to match the driver side? I don't like the difference in tire "hanging out past the fender"

the measurement was taken from the hub. the area where the wheel fits up against. I had jack stands under the shock mounts to load the suspension & clamped straight edges to the hub to extend below, to run the tape measure without obstruction.

57 13/16 is the maximum dimension with halfshafts and spindles in a straght line. Any angle would reduce this dimension:

Rotor hat thickness= .28in
Spindle carrier u-joint center to spindle face= 7.75in
Halfshaft, ujoint c to c= 13 7/8in
Diff, ujoint cen to cen= 14 in

If you add all that up, you come up with 57 13/16

thnx. for the specific numbers. I looked at my rear end again and realize that the downward angle of the 1/2 shafts would shorten the measurement a bit...