Safety wire bolts/screws

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Before I go to all the trouble of drilling the heads on some 10-24 machine screws I thought I'd ask for some input. I'm fabricating a lower height intake manifold upper section to allow me to reinstall the stock hood on my '84. Years ago I had to put a raised cowl hood on it to clear the turbo manifold and plumbing, and I'm now wanting to get back to a more stock look. I've got the manifold mostly fabricated, and am now working on some reed valves that shunt the turbo compressor section when not in boost. These (hanging) 10-24 screws hold the reed valves in the inner manifold, and I want to safety wire them so that none of them vibrate loose and get sucked into the compressor. Present plans are to make some kind of jig to hold the screws so I can drill some damn small diameter holes in them. I'm open to any good advice before I start on this next week.

Thanks.
Mike

Just wondering if you have socket head s\machine screws - or not. Seems there would be less material to drill through with those. Maybe even McMaster has them pre-drilled? But that is past this weekend for delivery :(

Best of Luck.

Cheers - Jim

Clamp a small V-block to the drill press table so that you don't have to re-center the screws every time. I'm thinking you might need to center drill them first so this will put the screw heads in the same place each time.

1794.480.jpg

Just wondering if you have socket head smachine screws - or not. Seems there would be less material to drill through with those. Maybe even McMaster has them pre-drilled? But that is past this weekend for delivery :(

Best of Luck.

Cheers - Jim

Looked for (drilled) socket head screws at M-C the other day, but didn't see any. With your note I thought I'd look again, just in case, and hot damn, they got 'em. Don't know why I failed to find them the other day, but I got a couple packages of them on the way now. I'll have enough other items to work on while they're in transit, and now I can avoid the frustration of drilling steel with damn small bits.

Thanks!

Got the parts from M-C yesterday. Damn fast response. My present roll of SS wire is too thick, so I'll have to find some smaller stuff. I'd also like to put a touch of thread locker on the threads, but I need to see what stuff is usable when it is continuously sprayed with fuel (these screws are installed thread side up, with the exposed tips of the screws a couple inches under the injectors).

3/8" steel fuel line bend help needed.

Well, I got the intake manifold upper section done and bolted to the lower section, and am now hooking everything back up. I need to rebend some fuel lines as the old ones don't fit the lower placement of the TBI unit. I need to make an immediate sharp 45* bend in the line as it exits the flare nut. All my tubing benders seem to need about 1.5-2" of straight line after the nut before the tubing gets bent on the guide grooves. I'm thinking I'm going to have to bend the tubing in some sort of custom way. Just looking for some advice or methods that have worked for you guys.

Thanks for any help.
Mike

Sorry for the late response but I just found this tool I made it to bend 3/8 Stainless. Needed a 180 degree bend with a 1" ID (without cracking). Used a mandrel with a rounded end and bent it probably 5 degrees at a time. It worked well. The tube wasn't collapsed at all.

460bd07cb3eccf.jpg