Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Classic Corvettes

Old 03-08-2020, 07:41 PM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (3)
Default Door hinge weight?

One of the guys elsewhere with a C2 GS clone is running aluminum door hinges. I'm just curious what C3 hinges weigh, and then I can figure out the weight reduction/hassle ratio. (The upper hinge bolts look to be a PITA to get to.)

Anyone out there with some loose C3 hinges to throw on a scale?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 03-10-2020, 03:42 PM
United States | Garage Monkey

My Photos: (313)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69427 View Post

I'm still fantasizing about making a replacement frame in aluminum, but I'm amazed at how much life keeps interrupting me when I'm just doing small projects. I've priced out the material costs (roughly $2500), but I'm pretty sure it would end up a multi-year project.
I've thought about this. It seems like, the best/easiest way to do this might be to make a bolt on cross-member front and rear and a frame. The cross-member's seem pretty straightforward but a good torsionally rigid frame seems like a challenge (given the space you have to work in).
Old 03-24-2020, 02:54 AM
United States | The Artist formerly known as Turbo84

My Photos: (3)

Just finished getting the bottom pieces of the crossmember cut to length and slid together (no permanent welding yet), and the LCA centerlines set up to match the partial jig. I now have to unhook most of the front suspension and steering to unbolt the steel crossmember from the car so I can use it to finish the jig to locate the steering rack and the attachment flanges that match up to the bottom side of the frame. The 4" x 6" aluminum plates at 3 and 9 o'clock in the picture show the rough placement in space of the flanges. The steel crossmember is roughly 35#, and my present tally of expected material in the new crossmember is in the 23# range, but I anticipate probably adding a couple pounds in extra reinforcing material in some places, just to help me worry a bit less while on the track.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]