UAW wages to blame?

Maybe a little perspective on autoworkers that are non-union.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28214869/

They are exactly right:
"Over here, we're taking days off without pay to keep the company going, but the unions for the Big Three aren't willing to do that," said Kathy Ward, 54, who has worked 27 years at the sprawling plant here. This year her pay has been cut $5,000 because of days off. "Everyone has to give a little in times like these."

The bailout efforts for Detroit's Big Three are laying bare long-held resentments between union and non-union workers, echoing North-South divisions as old as the Civil War.

The negotiations brought out some sharp contrasts. Some Southern Republican senators, led by Bob Corker of this state, pushed to cut the wages and benefits that Detroit's Big Three pay to a level consistent with what foreign automakers pay to nonunion workers at plants throughout the South, such as the Nissan plant here.

Ward's husband, Frank, who retired a few years ago from the Nissan plant, approves.

Corker "hit the nail on the head," he said. "It seems like the United Auto Workers would rather have people lose their jobs than give up a few dollars in hourly pay."

They are exactly right:
"Over here, we're taking days off without pay to keep the company going, but the unions for the Big Three aren't willing to do that," said Kathy Ward, 54, who has worked 27 years at the sprawling plant here. This year her pay has been cut $5,000 because of days off. "Everyone has to give a little in times like these."

The bailout efforts for Detroit's Big Three are laying bare long-held resentments between union and non-union workers, echoing North-South divisions as old as the Civil War.

The negotiations brought out some sharp contrasts. Some Southern Republican senators, led by Bob Corker of this state, pushed to cut the wages and benefits that Detroit's Big Three pay to a level consistent with what foreign automakers pay to nonunion workers at plants throughout the South, such as the Nissan plant here.

Ward's husband, Frank, who retired a few years ago from the Nissan plant, approves.

Corker "hit the nail on the head," he said. "It seems like the United Auto Workers would rather have people lose their jobs than give up a few dollars in hourly pay."

Corker wants to lower the wages in the north, where the cost of living is higher, to a level that is BIG MONEY in the south. That would just make all automakers move south.
I live in the OC. Property here is a MILLION dollars an acre. And, rightfully so, GM closed it's plants here long ago.
IF the answer is to move the big 3 to Florida, so be it. Detroit will be the next Pittsburg, and they will have to find a new dollar base.

They are exactly right:

Corker wants to lower the wages in the north, where the cost of living is higher, to a level that is BIG MONEY in the south. That would just make all automakers move south.
I live in the OC. Property here is a MILLION dollars an acre. And, rightfully so, GM closed it's plants here long ago.
IF the answer is to move the big 3 to Florida, so be it. Detroit will be the next Pittsburg, and they will have to find a new dollar base.

Hey, we agree completely. Now, group hug....just keep your hands where I can see them.

They are exactly right:

Hey, we agree completely. Now, group hug....just keep your hands where I can see them.

Why stop there? Let's move them all to China, cheaper yet, and the south will fall too.

I read that. Thank you. Two thoughts.
1)That last couple has a higher standard of living than me.
2)If it were not for the union, they would not be making what they do.

My former welfare supported section 8 tenants have a higher standard of living than I do. The authorities will not let them live in sub-standard housing, but they will let them trash the housing that they are in. Friggin animals - go figure. I bailed out of that game.
When are we going to get the lazy ass welfare recipients off of our backs too?

Why stop there? Let's move them all to China, cheaper yet, and the south will fall too.

I'm OK with that, why not?

In a world economy, transition will happen. However, if we export all the jobs overnight, just what will support our society? If you don't like welfare now, just imagine 200,000,000 people unemployed.
As in any arguement, the truith lies somewhere between the two sides of the coin.
Anyhow, this thread is so off track from where it started, it could just be called the "bitch thread from hell."
Can we retire this now, or start on paper/plastic?:drink:

Just a footnote you might find funny. I love the "corporate mindset." Our company wants to cut back labor 20% for the next 5 years. I'm no math major, but that would mean in 5 years it will install itself. LOL:shocking:

In a world economy, transition will happen. However, if we export all the jobs overnight, just what will support our society? If you don't like welfare now, just imagine 200,000,000 people unemployed.
As in any arguement, the truith lies somewhere between the two sides of the coin.
Anyhow, this thread is so off track from where it started, it could just be called the "bitch thread from hell."

That's OK, we're taking Japan's and Korea's economy down the tubes, they are building plants here, they will be dead soon.

That's OK, we're taking Japan's and Korea's economy down the tubes, they are building plants here, they will be dead soon.

Well, it is said that Japs took a dump with their economy some 12? years ago and have not pulled out yet.....so the move to do assy work here has cut their guy also....only so many engines and trannies they make there, and now they making them here too......

whole God damn thing fails to make much sense anymore.....

which is why I wonder that GM of all companies, built their new corporate monument to egos in DETROIT of all places...guess they didn't want to sell their Grosse Point homes.......or something.....

I would have paid good money as a GM exec to get fuck OUTTA that frozen shit hole....but no.....

note that Fidelity money group is leaving LA and moving to Jax here, building #3 will be ready for HVAC and interior work, this spring they were doing the steel work.....supposed to be some 7? high rises....well what qualifies as a high rise here in Florida, anyway....it IS a sandbar afterall.....

:yahoo::D:chinese: