Hydraulic clutch Q's

you can modify the stock f-body shifter to fit in the stock console.

here is the LT1 T56 in my 82

stock shifter :
boite27.jpg

I cut the shifter, welded a 1/4" flat iron to offset the shifter where I wanted it.
it's not in the stock hole as I wanted it centered in the console.

boite28.jpg
boite30.jpg
boite31.jpg

That is basically what the viper shifters look like. thum_11074a999efd15d10.jpg

What you did wasnt an option for me since I spent $200 for my Pro 5.0 shifter and didnt want to modify it.

I do have 1 question though. It is a proven fact that all t56 stock shifters have a poorly designed 2-3 shifter angle. From your pic you are using a stcok t56 shifter, I can spot them a mile away,. All the aftermarket shifters that are available (b&m ripper, pro 5.0 and Hurst billet... if you can still find one) list that they eliminate the problem reducing blown 2-3 shifts.

How does using the stock shifter and then welding it to move the handle over effect shifting? And, would you still feel safe if you have moved the shifter all the way over to the stock hole? I just ask because when I grab gears I RIP. SLAM and BANG the shifter like its my worst enemy.

In CF there's a guy that did. He modified the shifter, not the shift stick. It required welding. I would get you a link but got to run. It's really clean so when I can, I'll edit the post and add it for you.

Edit: His name is Joe and here is a pic of his shifter from his site:
c3gs-051307a.jpg

The full website dedicated to the car:
http://vettetech.com/projects/c3gs/c3gs.htm

Here's the update. Similar to Vince's mod.

I still would think it would affect shifting. Just think of it this way. If you have a transmission and you take the a long shift handle say 9" and you cut it down to 6". You definately feel a world of difference and you reduce the amount of throw your shifter needs to get into gears. Which means less arm movement and quicker shifts.

By moving the shifter not only forward but to the left you are affecting, throw and shifting angles.

Keep in mind if this is your first t56 or you have nothing else to compare it to....example being another t56 equipped car. You would never know that it feels "off" or just not quite right.

I am very curious on this.

great pic GREG

Last edited:
I'm sure it would feel different since the pivot point would not change. Effectively, moving through the nuetral gate will shorten or lengthen the amount of shifter above the console, but I feel the distance is small. I believe Joe said it was 2.75" to the left and 1/5" forward, so it isn't all the much. But you're right about having a reference. I've never driven a T56 equipped car, so I won't know any better :D With that being said, I think I'll just have the shifter come up where it comes up.