Can someone PLEASE help me understand why a 200r4

I'm gonna' have to run Ol' Red across a scale someday. You guys got my curious bone itching.

My old man did that to me 30 years ago when i was a kid --- i had forgotten about it till now .... hahaha, next time i see him i will give him a kick in the ass ..... it funny how women don't share the same perspective on certain things.

One do some guy was tailgating so bad that i could not see his lights in my back window -- he was that close to my yukon. So i slammed on the brakes --- he managed to avoid hitting me but he nevered followed that close to me again, in fact i kinda disappeared after that. But my girlfriend beat the shit out of me and screamed at me in chinese for about 2 hrs, that was OK cuse i don't know much chinese anyway ... haha

I like the Th2004R, in the right car, but like everything else its not a one size fits all. We have a local builder that does a very good job with these transmissions, for a reasonable price, and I had him build one for my parents' '63 Impala convertible. While its heavy, its just a cruiser...mild 350 with stock iron heads...so I didn't see any need to go with a trans that would take more power. The x-frame makes it difficult with a longer trans like a Th700R4. Since the car had a Th350 (same length as the original Powerglide), I didn't have to shorten the driveshaft (2 piece with a support bearing). I just built a simple crossmember, since the mount is further back than the Th350. While I had it apart, I removed the 3.36 pumpkin that was in the car and slipped in a 3.70. Now the car accelerates much better, and gets better mileage to boot.

I put another Th2004R (same builder) in a friend's 78 Corvette recently. Again, this car is a cruiser mostly, used for the occasional road trip, and had a reverse manual valve body TH350 with a 3400 stall that was badly matched to the 330hp Vortec engine. Apparently the guy who did the install on that needed to unload a transmission :pprrtt: ! The install was even easier on the Vette; I just had to remove the bolt on mount piece from the crossmember, and it bolted up. The hardest part of the whole job was retrofiting a B&M console Megashifter (designed for a 3rd Gen F-body) to the Vette console (it had a worn out Quicksilver), and making it look right in the car.

If either of these cars were higher HP, I probably would have gone with a Th700R4. I know the 200 can be built for high torque/hp, but not cheaply. The 700 at least can be upgraded with later factory parts (4L60/4L65E). Both of these transmissions were about $800 or so, including a mild stall convertor and a shift kit.

i agree completely ... for a direct bolt in to the vette and low torque ... they would be the cats ass ... but i would be scared to punish it ... my 700 has been behind big blocks on the street and abused at the track, all its life and the only thing i have broken is a torque converter. But i spent about $3000 on it when i built it.... But i don't know what my 572 is going to do to it, lets just say i would not be suprized if i have to fix it one day:censored:

i agree completely ... for a direct bolt in to the vette and low torque ... they would be the cats ass ... but i would be scared to punish it ... my 700 has been behind big blocks on the street and abused at the track, all its life and the only thing i have broken is a torque converter. But i spent about $3000 on it when i built it.... But i don't know what my 572 is going to do to it, lets just say i would not be suprized if i have to fix it one day:censored:

Because of COST reasons, even with that 411 rear in Jed's Clamper, our very old chebby van/camper I"m 'restoring', I"m removing the 350 turbo and putting in a 400, the engine is a mild 350 chebby....I would LOVE to do a o/drive but a 4L80e is about the only option I can think of...

I had a 700 in my vette, but after the 2nd 3/4 clutch pack went out, I gave up on it...lasted maybe 6 years, TimAT says he could have fixed that and all the operational problems, but the switch happened before we met....
the operational problems were what I considered a way premature 1-2 shift in traffic, then the insistence of it to downshift into 3rd at WOT....allowing engine to wind up to oblivion as soon as I went off WOT even a little bit, it would upshift again....the 200 don't do that, I dunno why, but I credit the TRANS GO shift kit for desired mannerisms.....

tell you what else....in all these years, it's better shifting dead COLD than at any normal operating temp.....leads me to want a a/c unit just for the ATF....
obviously I have coolers....

:beer:

Spending that kind of cash on an automatic, though, you could get a TH2004r that would hold the power. From the right builder, you could probably get a 4L80E. Most of the really quick Buick GNs are still running the 200 trans, and before someone says "thats just a V6", they make ungodly torque, and 700hp on a stock block isn't unusual. The "fast" ones are making more than that. All in all, I think the builder has a lot to do with it. I have seen both transmissions handle huge power when built properly, and I have also seen poorly built ones go out behind weak V6s.