how hard to change front struts and rear shocks on a 97 camaro

this is with your old stock shocks right ?? I am wondering if they're so shot that you're riding on the springs only.... it would it what you're describing....
you never said what you meant by "Monroe package" ?

at that age and mileage check the lower arm bushings too....

I had 275/40 and 315/35 on mine and while it was a stiff ride it was not as bad as you describe.... yours will improve with new shocks and maybe bushings....what you're describing is not normal, shoyldn't be that harsh even with low profile tires....

this is with your old stock shocks right ?? I am wondering if they're so shot that you're riding on the springs only.... it would it what you're describing....
you never said what you meant by "Monroe package" ?

at that age and mileage check the lower arm bushings too....

I had 275/40 and 315/35 on mine and while it was a stiff ride it was not as bad as you describe.... yours will improve with new shocks and maybe bushings....what you're describing is not normal, shoyldn't be that harsh even with low profile tires....

It has always been a harsh riding car though, when I switched from 55 series to 50 it also was noticeable. The car doesn't sag at all so I think the springs are fine. The springs look normal as well, has orange struts and I think black shocks.

Oh I bought 4 monroe struts and shocks is all.

orange is the color of the stock DeCarbon shocks and struts. with worn shocks you won't see it sag, but you will feel what you describe... harshness because the shocks do not control the springs. You're running stock springs ? I'd bet money it will be a night and day difference with new shocks.

orange is the color of the stock DeCarbon shocks and struts. with worn shocks you won't see it sag, but you will feel what you describe... harshness because the shocks do not control the springs. You're running stock springs ? I'd bet money it will be a night and day difference with new shocks.

Yes it's springs are stock ... I think I am going to look into tubular a-arm and rear suspension parts. I noticed today that my driver side rear trailing arm is bent and twisted.

Will probably wait till the vette is finished though, I kinda want to rebuild pretty much everything on this car and give it to my son when he can drive.

Hey I have a question about these zr1 rims I am buying. I have been looking on ebay and have yet to see a set of 17x11 rims with the area where the lugnuts are so deep into the rims. All the ones I ever see the spokes are moved in and the lugnut area is shallow like 17x9.5 rims.

Based on what this guy told me " I have to use adapters to get them to fit my 3rd gen iroc-z" does it sound like these are 50mm offset rims and not 36mm like a real zr1 rim?

this is the difference that I am talking about.

zr1rim.jpg

KGrHqJhoE7lIQheSeBPMqkkvIhQ60_12.jpg

here are the adapters he is using on his 3rd gen camaro to make the zr1 rims fit. so does it look like these rims will be the correct offset for my 90 vette?

IMG_7553.jpg

On the C4 I'd go with the stock GM offset , I'm guessing the aftermarket offset is to fit the 4th gen F bodies better....

LS1 brakes fit under the 17s, 13" Corvette J55 stuff too....

nice steamrollers Karsten...what size were they?

LS1 brakes fit under the 17s, 13" Corvette J55 stuff too....

nice steamrollers Karsten...what size were they?

didn't know the brakes were different on the 93-97 model... thought it was all the same from 93-02....the Ls1 came with 16" rims from GM... maybe the SS had different brakes ?? the SS came with 17" wheels....

I had the 11x17 rims with 315-35 Goodyear F1 Supercar or whatever these were called.... great tires but way too $$$.... replaced with Sumitomo when these were worn, Goodyears looked a lot wider :D

Well, after looking at thw car for 45 minutes I decided to just take it in for front wheel bearings, shocks and struts, brake job and alignment.

They also said tires were inflated to between 70 & 76psi. (while they were on the vette I wanted to avoid flat spots so tried over inflating them) Just forgot to reduce pressure after they went on my camaro.

Long story short the car rides comparable to the 245-50-16 series tires now, however handling wise it can easily run around 15mph faster through any corner the 245's could. Downside used to be able to incinerate the 245's however can't even break these loose even power braking. No serious road noise.

I kinda think I paid 119.00 a tire for them, they are Riken raptor 275-40zr-17's if any of you are interested in a nice tire at cheap cost.

0213101655a.jpg

275tire.jpg

I have '89 wheels on my car, and greatly lament that NITTO quit making 275/50/17 tires, as I want the extra height over the 40's....looks like I have to go down one size like for the front, 255......:gurney:

I kinda think I paid 119.00 a tire for them, they are Riken raptor 275-40zr-17's if any of you are interested in a nice tire at cheap cost.

I run those on my Mustang, 245-45-17 front and 255-50-17 rear. Great tires. The rears have about 35000 miles on them and they're still in good shape... lots of highway driving though...
Both fronts have been replaced under the road hazard warranty, had them for about 25000 miles and they looked so good that they didn't even pro-rate for the tire wear.... :clap: