Block comes home Friday! Sleeve was not leaking but......

BlackRat

Machine shop called me in today to show me what the problem is on my block. They pressure tested it up to 150 psi and no leaks anywhere. The owner of the machine shop then got involved and found the issue right away. It is kinda hard to explain but was blatantly obvious when he showed me. The top of the #3 cylinder which was sleeved was not level. He said that from the looks of it the previous machine shop that installed the sleeve used either a file or a grinder to mill down the sleeve to the block. This caused dips in the deck between the #3 and #5 cylinders. The head gasket was never seating around that cylinder and the bolt hole between the 3 and 5 was leaking as well. Like I said it is hard to explain in words but I was very pleased with the fact that the owner not only called me down but also explained and showed me the issue. He feels sure that the block and sleeve will be fine once they deck it. They are also going to hone all the other cylinders, install new cam bearings and freeze plugs and hot tank it. If I would have known 2 years ago what I know now I would have taken more care in choosing a shop.

Anyway, block will be home Friday so you know what I will be doing this weekend!!!!!!:thumbs:

holy shit, i called it back on DC. I'd have to go back to make sure but i predicted the block only needed to be decked.

i'm freekin good.

holy shit, i called it back on DC. I'd have to go back to make sure but i predicted the block only needed to be decked.

i'm freekin good.

Yep I think you did.:yahoo: Looks like the failure had nothing to do with over heating just poor machine work....:mad:

i'm freekin good.

Guess you did...but I don't think you could have guessed that the machine shop would use a grinder or file the way they did....they could've done it right in the first place and saved a lot of frustration, time and money.

Guess you did...but I don't think you could have guessed that the machine shop would use a grinder or file the way they did....they could've done it right in the first place and saved a lot of frustration, time and money.

simple really, he had the head shaved and it got better but still leaked a little, which means the other side was off. A cracked or otherwise leaking cylinder would have leaked at the same rate after the head was shaved.

logical deduction. troubleshooting is my life

Damnit man, just DAMNIT....sorry to hear that, sorta the same shit happend a year ago to a buddy with a Merc Marine chebby 350 engine on his boat....
supposedly rebuilt....yeh, by Attila the Hun....muvva fucker...

I don't have the experience/patience to do my own short short blocks, but I do the glory work myself, for a reason...

:bounce::thumbs: