Sunbeam Tiger

red74

Anyone ever owned one? Impressions? They (not Alpine clones) seem to be very pricey these days. But I'm thinking.

I drove one of those a long time ago. My memory is that is was reasonably fast (not surprisingly fast) and the handling was not great. At the time I had a TR6 and I thought it handled better and was pretty close on power (and they were not known as fast/good handling cars)!

Is that the one they stuck a Buick/Olds aluminum 215 ci V8 into???

mom had one in a '63 Olds F85, predecessor to the 442/Cutlass.....

:eek:

No, they put a 289 Ford engine into it.

I had a 215 F-85, my first car! There was a turbo version of that car that I have never seen. I'll bet that was fun.

My mammory not worth shit....

I always thought that 215 would have made a hell of a engine for some sports cars...like wife's Miata here...but the engine is just fine....can't justify doing it...
last I hear of those was in a Land Rover....with DPFI on them....good ticket ride in a ~2000 lbs car....

:bump:

My mammory not worth shit....

I always thought that 215 would have made a hell of a engine for some sports cars...like wife's Miata here...but the engine is just fine....can't justify doing it...
last I hear of those was in a Land Rover....with DPFI on them....good ticket ride in a ~2000 lbs car....

:bump:

That aluminum 215 Buick/Olds V8 was a great little motor. There is a local shop that was installing the "Rover" 215 V8 into an MGB. Now that little bastard is going to FLY when it is finished.

Rich:beer:

The Tiger can be a fun sleeper. The short wheel base makes them a handful. 260 or 289 is easy to maintain.

An old friend used to race one and the rear suspension needed a rework to put the torque down.

I'd love to have one but I'd wait for the price drop on collectibles

Maxwell smarts car. I saw an original owner car in a restoration shop. Completely stripped down I could see how it was 'modified' at the factory for the Ford V8. Everything was 'clearanced' with BIG hammer. No finesse. Cool cars.

Douglas,
Thanks for those pics. That is a very impressive Tiger!

The prices are indeed very high and seem unaffected by the recession. Hard to figure out when Corvette prices are taking a beating.

Point of interest:
Sunbean went to Mopar first trying to get the 318. Mopar said no.;)

I looked at one back in the late 60's for 700 bucks in Michigan.
It had a v8 with the valve cover center spark plugs, probably a small Chrylser hemi. I know they made some even smaller than the 331 in the 50's.

Wonder if that had something to do with Chrysler or just an old hotrodder.