Click-like sound

greg75vette

The Traffic Baron
But it could almost pass for a muted bell. Yes I know, I am awesome at describing sounds :3rd:

'75 L48 manual.

So this sound is coming from the rear of the car, possibly both sides. I only hear when reflecting off of parked cars, fences, etc.

I thought this could have been my rear wheel bearings, but there is no (detectable) movement when I grab the wheel at 3 and 9 positions. When I move the tire grabbing at 6 and 12 positions, I do get a rock, but the T/A is clearly rotating the same amount.

I then thought it was maybe my parking brake assembly, so I rotated the wheels (lifted only one side at a time so the opposing rear wheel was on the ground) and did not hear any clicking.

I also thought maybe it wasn't clicking, but a metal rubbing. Perhaps my brake dust shield dragging on my rotor (it was dinged last year in my suspension rebuild). But the previous said test did not reveal that either.

I'm thinking possibly my U-joints, but they were replaced last year (all 6) during my suspension rebuild. They aren't Spicers (I cheapened out because I didn't plan on keeping the drive shaft or half shafts after I did my engine swap, which is now postponed haha). I did lower my car roughly 2.5", so binding might be possible, but the half shafts are relatively parallel to the ground under weight at ride height.

So could it be my clutch packs? I don't hear it more in turning, mostly straight driving and like I said before I turned one wheel at a time with the other locked and no such clicking. I know I get both wheels turning under power, nearly lost her in the rain yesterday. I also changed out my diff oil last year (bad diff cover) with the suspension swap and did add the 4oz. bottle of GM posi additive. I filled the diff until it puked and the car was 10° tilted forward when I did it. (should get a little extra in, the rear was on jack stands).

So what do all the wizards think this could be? I'm at a loss :banghead:.

If you apply the brakes lightly, does it go away?

I have heard brake pads do that on other cars.

Nope. It makes the sound all the way to a full stop. It does change with speed as well. It happens regardless if I have the car in gear or in neutral.

Maybe a nail or screw in the tire ??? that can cause a ticking noise too.... a small rock wedged between the tire thread also.... I once had the tire guy leave a sticker on the tire, now THAT was a strange noise. :banghead:

I haven't checked the tires recently, but it isn't the same sound. I've had some rocks in my tread in this car and my DD and they absolutely drive me nuts. This sound is more like a soft ratchet sound. It has some slip before the click. That's what I meatn by the 'muted bell' or thought it was my dust shield. It has almost a rattle like sound incorporated in. Like a mixing ball in a can of spray paint if you shook it lightly and somewhat slowly.

Parking brake shoe anchor retainer clip/spring deal hitting wheel stud heads.....tick tick tick tick..............

I was thinking it was the parking brake too, but when turning each tire I couldn't get the same same noise, or any noise for that matter. But the more suspect side (passenger) does have a serious parking brake issue. As in, it doesn't work on that side, haha. Since the car wasn't level, could that contribute to the lack of sound when I was turning it?