Thoughts on Gear Vendor OD trans adapter?

Red

My SBC Corvette runs hot, around 230 on the highway and is a problem. I'm in the process of planning some upgrades/mods to get this under control. An OD trans swap for my TH350 has been considered for a .67 OD gear. Another option is a Gear Vendor unit that splits all the gears, but that is no advantage for me, but the .25 OD is. This equates to dropping my highway RPM between 400-500 RPM. This is not nearly as much as a
200 4R or 700R4 will do on the highway. Does anyone have any experience with a GV unit or thoughts on swapping one in? I might add that my car is a bracket racer that is driven to the track. My J&W built TH350 serves me very well and could be kept with a GV unit and shortened DS. A refurbished unit can be had on fleabay for $1700 and about the cost of upgrading to an OD trans. Anybody have any experience with these GV adapters?

My SBC Corvette runs hot, around 230 on the highway and is a problem. I'm in the process of planning some upgrades/mods to get this under control. An OD trans swap for my TH350 has been considered for a .67 OD gear. Another option is a Gear Vendor unit that splits all the gears, but that is no advantage for me, but the .25 OD is. This equates to dropping my highway RPM between 400-500 RPM. This is not nearly as much as a
200 4R or 700R4 will do on the highway. Does anyone have any experience with a GV unit or thoughts on swapping one in? I might add that my car is a bracket racer that is driven to the track. My J&W built TH350 serves me very well and could be kept with a GV unit and shortened DS. A refurbished unit can be had on fleabay for $1700 and about the cost of upgrading to an OD trans. Anybody have any experience with these GV adapters?

The gear vendors pieces are bulletproof. I know guys running them in 1000+ HP applications.

The gear vendors pieces are bulletproof. I know guys running them in 1000+ HP applications.

Well they may BE, but for the added weight, and the silly 20+% reduction in engine rpm at speed....I seriously doubt the install, it's not easy from everything I have heard....barely fitting the tranny tunnel, and maybe not in some C3's.....IMO, a 200 4r, 700 r4, or if you need the torque rating of a 400...go the 4L80e.....

Thanks for the comments and links, I appreciate all opinions. I was not aware of the US Gear product and found the 30% OD of interest. The Gear Vendor only has the .25 OD and can't understand who needs the split gear ratios. It must just be me, because they have been in business and selling them for many years. Even though I like the idea of keeping my TH350, the OD adapters create a fitment issue with a very tight C-3 trans tunnel. The last thing I upgrade will be my trans and as the ole' budget allows. This idea of an OD adapter can finally be put behind me. Now, will it be a 2004R or 700R4 that is the question.

Last edited:
I always like the gear vendors idea because it would allow me the retain my Muncie. The US gear piece is an even better choice, never seen it before. Don't think they make an adapter for the Muncie tho. Now if it would come even close to fitting my tunnel........

I always like the gear vendors idea because it would allow me the retain my Muncie. The US gear piece is an even better choice, never seen it before. Don't think they make an adapter for the Muncie tho. Now if it would come even close to fitting my tunnel........

I wouldn't mind having one for Jed's Clamper, but the trick is about the PRICE, and being SO rare, there is no chance to find one in the junkyards....

and IF they knew WTF it was, it still not a economical move....

:hissyfit::sweat::cool:

The only real drawback is the price, it's just a laycock unit which was developed for volvo, mg and other euro crap shitboxes of the late 70s and 80s, they made tens of thousands of these units so development costs have been paid for 10 fold, all gearvendors did is make specific tranny adapters and the control box which is just a minimal amount of electronics produced for a few dollars in china today. for the price I would be lookig at another tranny first