GM restoration licensed parts

redvetracr

what exactly does this mean??

IMG_2271.jpg

Bought a heater control resistor for my Alero original was made in Mexico the replacement in Japan. The aluminum wheels for my Silverado 2500 were made in Poland

It doesn't mean squat anymore.

Gene, enkei is a Japanese brand, they have been making corvette wheels since 86.

Japan and China are two very different places.

I think I told you that.

All GM Resto means is you paid a fee to use their licensed Logo's & Trademarks.

It's exactly the same as the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval - you pay for a license and they give you permission to exhibit their label. BFD. Doesn't mean squat. Strictly BS endorsements.

I think I told you that.

All GM Resto means is you paid a fee to use their licensed Logo's & Trademarks.

It's exactly the same as the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval - you pay for a license and they give you permission to exhibit their label. BFD. Doesn't mean squat. Strictly BS endorsements.

Geoff. Do the parts have to meet
any certain QC standards? Is it JUST the $$$?

I was a member of that program for 9 years.
Initially I had to submit samples.
While in my second year 3 year contract they kept on pressuring me to license my entire catalog for a flat fee. I resisted as I was already purchasing considerable GM inventory and did not wish to pay further royalty on that.
I also queried how I could possibly submit thousands of parts for GMSPO approval as was initially required. I was told I didn't. I said that they allowed select companies like ecklers to use the same process.

Incidentially I previously sold C3 vacuum hose kits to ecklers. They licenced them and could brag they were GM Resto quality. I could not make that claim in advertising. Years later around 1995 when zip came out with a repro of a repro, they sold it to ecklers cheaper than we did. Ecklers still calls it GM Resto and for 10 years or longer it was still the oversized product that wasn't even close to original. So there is no doubt that it was ever checked by anyone at GMSPO. I think they may have changed it today because lots of folk complained on the CF, NCRS and elsewhere. Pictures don't lie.
Corvette repro today is ruled by the cheapest price. Even the Resto program has been debased.

The GM Resto folk held cocktail parties at Bloomington years ago. I never attended. Probably wasn't invited. :D

I was a member of that program for 9 years.
Initially I had to submit samples.
While in my second year 3 year contract they kept on pressuring me to license my entire catalog for a flat fee. I resisted as I was already purchasing considerable GM inventory and did not wish to pay further royalty on that.
I also queried how I could possibly submit thousands of parts for GMSPO approval as was initially required. I was told I didn't. I said that they allowed select companies like ecklers to use the same process.

Incidentially I previously sold C3 vacuum hose kits to ecklers. They licenced them and could brag they were GM Resto quality. I could not make that claim in advertising. Years later around 1995 when zip came out with a repro of a repro, they sold it to ecklers cheaper than we did. Ecklers still calls it GM Resto and for 10 years or longer it was still the oversized product that wasn't even close to original. So there is no doubt that it was ever checked by anyone at GMSPO. I think they may have changed it today because lots of folk complained on the CF, NCRS and elsewhere. Pictures don't lie.
Corvette repro today is ruled by the cheapest price. Even the Resto program has been debased.

The GM Resto folk held cocktail parties at Bloomington years ago. I never attended. Probably wasn't invited. :D

I think I told you that.

yes it was you, but you said it much better than I ever could have ...and I quote!! "GM licensed only means a license fee was paid. It has nothing to do with anything regarding quality, accuracy or country of origin.
GM resto license scam is merely a marketing badge. Pay the fee and get the tag".... last week I received some original Delco ti stuff from a guy who used the trail and error method on a customers car...he replaced the ti magnet, the coil, the amp box board and the car still wouldn`t start, once he replaced the wiring harness the car started and he sold off the original stuff, he sent it to me in the boxes the repro stuff came in.....the repro parts came from Long Island via Ken (K-B special products) in GA....

It was much different when it started. In the beginning:
I had to submit samples.
I had to provide specs were were using.
I had to ID my source if not in house.
I was not allowed to manufacture offshore or import.
I was not allowed to sell overseas.
I was not allowed to wholesale to GM franchised dealers.
I believe every bit of that is now history.

It was 50+ page contract, that required minimum quarterly royalty payments regardless of minimum sales. Sales above the agreed minimum were taxed as such. In other words, the more you sold, the more royalty due.

It became another accounting task just like Fed, State, Local taxes. When you consider that the average small business has these tax forms and tax bills, another set to another entity was just another tax bill.

Form & Payments
4 - Fed payroll tax (SS+WH) 4 times a year called 941 tax
1 - 940 Frd tax once a year January
2 - W2 once a year with W3 once a year
4 - State payroll tax 4 times a year called Connecticut 941 tax
6 - State sales tax 4 times a year + 2 reconciliation forms at end of year.
4 - Fed Estimated Tax - 4 times a year
4 - State Estimated Tax - 4 times a year
4 - UC2 tax Connecticut Unemployment Comp Tax 4 times a year
1 - Fed 1040 Income tax once a year
1 - State 1040 Income tax once a year
1 - Bridgeport Business Personal Property Tax
Adds up to 32 tax forms plus I'm forgetting some.

1 - City prop Tax bill on my house
1 - City prop tax on my NY house
2 - City prop tax on my pickup & wifes car
8 - City prop tax on 8 Corvettes (6 are $15 antique plate, 1 is $16.15 antique in Florida) The old cars are the only bargain, and I heard the state is trying to do away with that. I'd hate to sell my old cars.
1 - City prop tax on RV

FK TAXES and royalties

Geoff, my wife Linda is a book keeper....for about 6-8 small businesses....

does everything from Florida incorporation to LLC papers, then all the license crapola through but NOT including taxes, she refuses, leave THAT to the CPA types....she not going to a IRS trial for anyone....:shocking:

she gets calls late as 9 pm, and early as 730 am......

tons of fun......

and I been in business for 25 years, not doing inventory/retail like you, but home remodeling/construction....another ball of crap....

I HEAR YOU....:harhar::beer:

It was much different when it started. In the beginning:
I had to submit samples.
I had to provide specs were were using.
I had to ID my source if not in house.
I was not allowed to manufacture offshore or import.
I was not allowed to sell overseas.
I was not allowed to wholesale to GM franchised dealers.
I believe every bit of that is now history.

It was 50+ page contract, that required minimum quarterly royalty payments regardless of minimum sales. Sales above the agreed minimum were taxed as such. In other words, the more you sold, the more royalty due.

It became another accounting task just like Fed, State, Local taxes. When you consider that the average small business has these tax forms and tax bills, another set to another entity was just another tax bill.

Form & Payments
4 - Fed payroll tax (SS+WH) 4 times a year called 941 tax
1 - 940 Frd tax once a year January
2 - W2 once a year with W3 once a year
4 - State payroll tax 4 times a year called Connecticut 941 tax
6 - State sales tax 4 times a year + 2 reconciliation forms at end of year.
4 - Fed Estimated Tax - 4 times a year
4 - State Estimated Tax - 4 times a year
4 - UC2 tax Connecticut Unemployment Comp Tax 4 times a year
1 - Fed 1040 Income tax once a year
1 - State 1040 Income tax once a year
1 - Bridgeport Business Personal Property Tax
Adds up to 32 tax forms plus I'm forgetting some.

1 - City prop Tax bill on my house
1 - City prop tax on my NY house
2 - City prop tax on my pickup & wifes car
8 - City prop tax on 8 Corvettes (6 are $15 antique plate, 1 is $16.15 antique in Florida) The old cars are the only bargain, and I heard the state is trying to do away with that. I'd hate to sell my old cars.
1 - City prop tax on RV

FK TAXES and royalties

No wonder if I didn't have my part numbers ready when calling the 800 line you would hang up. You were busy doing tax forms.:rofl: