Metal shavings on magnetic oil drain plug

Well, I try to remember to change the oil every 12 months or so even though that's usually less than 1000 miles. I have been putting off this oil change because I have a new 7qt pan that I want to install. Obviously, dropping the oil pan is not going to be fun .... I am however curious what I'm going to find in there .....

Thank you for your feedback sir.

Well, 3900 miles is 3700 miles more than what my motor held up to so I can take some heart from your positive experience.

Have you not changed the oil then for a good while?

That fluff on your drain plug could be just that- fluff. Unless your builder pulled ALL of the oil galley plugs and washed and swabbed the galleys, (most don't), it could very well be just some trash that was trapped and then washed out later.

Drained the oil today, had some more "fluff" on the magnetic plug.... I'm not too concerned but I'm pulling the pan to swap the oil pump and the pan, going to post a few photos once the pan is down.....

Of course not wanting to thread hi-jack, I'm just contributing to this thread as it seems interesting that mybad79 is documenting the same thing here, so it's interesting to see it from another cars perspective - here are some pics of my magnetic sump plug too - this was after 150 steady miles on the highway and it developed rod knock:

magneticsumpfilings3_zpsc2392afc.jpg

magneticsumpfilings2_zps78f9d352.jpg

magneticsumpfilings1_zps3aadae5d.jpg

This weekend, I changed the oil and although the micro particles are significantly reduced, I saw a couple of bigger ones. 5th oil change in a month. Miles covered is around 50. Freshly built motor.

20130914_125735_zps092ca633.jpg

20130914_125813_zpsbbdd71f7.jpg

Hopefully this is 'normal' for breaking in a new motor.

Mybad79, i'll be keeping a close eye on your progress with this :)

The first three photos you posted show the particles before the second engine rebuild????

I dropped the oilpan today, there was a "sludge" at the bottom of the pan. I am convinced it's assembly lube - at least I hope that's what it is.... That sludge seems to hold the particles in the pan and it seems the sludge does not get flushed out with an oil change.

Dumbass me ... Didn't take a photo before wiping the pan .....

photo_zps93990acb.jpg

You can see some of the sludge/crud at the front of the sump....

I suggest you pull your pan and clean it, then see if the oil stays clean....

Pulled a main cap to inspect the bearing, fortunately it seems to be in good shape.... The engine runs fine without any strange noises so I had really no reason to believe the bearings are bad but just for piece of mind I pulled one ....

photo_zps876a7ae8.jpg
photo_zps1f76fa1c.jpg

first the magnetic drain plug is doing what it should....

I just did and oil change on my 502... 5200 miles total and about 1200 since that oil change in the spring.. same kinda deal the end of drain plug had some cruft on it... same as my harleys... it always does... it is very fine... a collection of particulate matter smaller than what 6-10 microns or some such what ever the filter cant get. a high percentage of usually dropping off under 25 microns or so ..

If its not filings or chips... forget about it...

Oil analysis is good thing more data is always better.

My guess is that it is normal wear and tear and qualitative analysis will show that it is cast iron and molybdenum and lots of other gunk.. If your worried about wear switch to mobil 1 and run it hard...
or a semi-synthetic if you let it set alot... can you say non-hygroscopic. full synthetics are hydrophobic to some extent in that they dont absorb water... Read up on why Mobil pulled out of the Piston Engine Aviation market

IMHO

The first three photos you posted show the particles before the second engine rebuild????

Apologies for the delay, I don't visit here too much.

Yes those first pictures (the ones in this page) are from the first drive on the rebuilt engine (which has loads of assembly lube btw) and then the pictures with a lot less fluff are from a few weeks ago effectively on the 'newer' version of the engine (bearings replaced because that fist motor with the filings wiped all of it's bearings on the highway within 100 miles)

I did an oil change yesterday and it's looking pretty good now (touch wood!) - very light fluffy microparticles which I can only assume are 'normal'

20131005_130544_zpsdef3ca49.jpg

20131005_130601_zps48aec17d.jpg

20131005_130619_zps8d795594.jpg

Looks like your motor is doing good too bro, which is always good to know :)

I've been running magnetic plugs since the early 70s.
You will always get that fluff on the magnet, the stuff that does not feel gritty. It's a good thing.

FYI, way back I had several bikes that had roller bearings at the crank, rods and wrist pins and still had the fluff. Nothing to worry about at all.

that's good to know, thanks for sharing.

out of curiosity, is there any reason why you say it's a good thing to have the soft stuff, or did you mean that it's just totally harmless?

Hey guys, for what it's worth, I'll post up my findings here in case if helps anybody in the future.

I kind of always had an oil consumption issue on this motor since I had it running last autumn. This spring however, it had gotten worse and I was getting wet plugs. Clutching at straws, I replaced the valve seals...no improvement.

Tore down the block and sure enough the piston rings weren't fitted properly. My motor has a special support/spacer ring that sits amongst the oil control rings (only Lord knows why) and the builder didn't know what to do with them, so he didn't fit them.

My bores were chewed up from the wayward piston rings and in some places down low, you can still see where the rings dug into the bores due to the excess clearance.

That's where my filings were coming from - just thought I'd share.

Years ago I tried to help a buddy who insisted on assembling his own short block.....a royal failure.....

never again.....heads taken to shops also....I can put heads on the block, slip the cam/chain home, bolt on pans....all the simple shit, but pretending I am a machinist NO!!!!

:eek::surrender:

So far so good .... My engine is still running fine, next oil change we will see if there are still some shavings.....
I used syntetic at the last oil change and they say it's good for either 10000 miles or one year..... I drive maybe 2000 miles a year, actually less now that I work on my new house all the time...
My '79 is probably going to ne moved over to the new house around the end of the year, then oil change and hopefully a few winter/spring trips along the coast....
Until then I'll try to forget about this oil sludge/shavings issue.....

..... Might find myself in a LSx swap next year ....lol.....