C4 rear spindles: Any upgrades?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
Just curious. I'm putting the rear suspension back together (using '84 rear corners), and the u-joint straps and bolts are pretty unimpressive. Did Chevrolet stick with this arrangement throughout the C4 run? I don't drag race, but I've got a reasonably decent 427 ahead of this suspension. Any down-the-road upgrades available?

thanks,
Mike

Yes, same for all autos and same for all manuals. You have a manual rear end? (dana 44)??? Bolts should be 7/16 right?

The spindles on a C4 use 8mm bolts. I'm with you they look kinda small and the straps look like something that is used on a chain-link fence.

That said, I don't hear that it is a problem. Also I tried to see if the cast caps from a BB C3 stub axle would fit and the center to center is not even close.

The spindles on a C4 use 8mm bolts. I'm with you they look kinda small and the straps look like something that is used on a chain-link fence.

That said, I don't hear that it is a problem. Also I tried to see if the cast caps from a BB C3 stub axle would fit and the center to center is not even close.

I was curious about the earlier cap usage. Looks like you've saved me some wasted time and money trying to retrofit the C3 caps. I suppose I could make some caps, but I don't recall if there's enough meat in the spindles to upgrade the bolt size too.
I appreciate the info!

I just looked into this the other day and my recollection is that the C3 axle stub caps are about 1.8 inches c to c (3/8' thd) and the C4 spindles are ~2.1 inches c to c.

Seems like a steel cap wouldn't be too difficult to make. Certainly less difficult than the one Tracdogg2 made for the differential.