Solid steeroids??

Why are the clamps be fully closed or are they not tighten down in the pic?

I remember the firewall the GAm rack was mounted to, in the junkyard when I got it, as being pretty flat, and as such the clamps are forcing full compression against that flat surface, it's not a lot of tension on the rubber....
another point, is that most of the brackets I have seen have a lot of lateral support on the pass side, since that is a tube in a doughnut, I don't see the need for any lateral support, mine has essentially none, just the two bolts from the old support, making vertical and fore/aft centering solid for that rack end....

:crutches:

But there is no rubber on the driver side. Sorry I'm not understanding.

Why are the clamps be fully closed or are they not tighten down in the pic?

I remember the firewall the GAm rack was mounted to, in the junkyard when I got it, as being pretty flat, and as such the clamps are forcing full compression against that flat surface, it's not a lot of tension on the rubber....
another point, is that most of the brackets I have seen have a lot of lateral support on the pass side, since that is a tube in a doughnut, I don't see the need for any lateral support, mine has essentially none, just the two bolts from the old support, making vertical and fore/aft centering solid for that rack end....

:crutches:

But there is no rubber on the driver side. Sorry I'm not understanding.

There is a D shape large rubber doughnut that goes between the flanges of the rack and the clamp and mount the rubber doughnut has like a flange of it's own to cushion between the rack and the mount/clamp....

best I can describe it....

on the pass side, there is a flange on the rubber to keep it centered in the clamp and mount..letting the rack slide laterally, if it wants...not that there is any evidence of it...

;)

I am far from any ME in some understandings, but I feel that if GM wanted that rack floating in rubber for a Grand Am, I want it doing the same thing in my vette....some territory I not invading....kapisch??

Last edited:
Pleae look at post #9, the 1st 2 pics. I was talking about the pass side since it was mentioned that only 1 clamp should be used. The D is on the driver side.:confused:

Pleae look at post #9, the 1st 2 pics. I was talking about the pass side since it was mentioned that only 1 clamp should be used. The D is on the driver side.:confused:

OH, ok you talking of your install, my problem is I beleive it's going to make too much chassis torque stress on the rack housing, I would not be surprised to find some failure mode introduced to the rack assy...if not the housing in breaking but maybe the internals....I"m just nervous over that, :gurney::drink:

Have not finished all my winter project yet! ,hope i will have everything running in a couple of weeks.
Right now i am working on fixed round hellas(xenon) with angel-eyes and tinted lexan covers.