373 gears gone

GTR1999

Gearhead
Just a heads up,

I hope no one is planning on installing Tom's 373 gears in the near future. He's out of stock and I think I have commited the ones I have left.

If you are then start calling around because you won't see them the rest of this year. The price will be going up on them as well. I went through this 2 years ago and you're going to be left with Richmond or Yukon.

Ran of of stock and having trouble getting back orders filled. Steel shortage, the midwest economy for mfg is very bad, who knows what else, bottom line they're gone. I have a couple of sets left but I think they're all spoken for so far.

I had my 4.11 a couple of weeks ago from him. Luckily i didn't wait.
My guess is that this is going to cause a lot of problems for some guys since this is probably the most popular performance gear ratio.

Just compared the two on Summitracing.com:
why does Richmond say that if you're installing 3.70 gears you need a 4.10 or numerical higher carrier ?? Motive does not say that a specific carrier is required... what's the difference ??

Much thicker ring gear

Twin_turbo is correct. Some companies are making their 3.73+ ring gears so that the flange will fit on the original 3-series carrier. That way you don't have to upgrade to a 4 series posi unit.

Vettes never came with 373 gears from the factory. They did come with 370 gears. The 373's should fit a 3 series case. In fact Tom's 411 and 433 also fit a 3 series case. I think Richmonds up to 390 fit the 3 series cases.
I never used Motive but did "attempt" to use their master kit which a guy bought from fastcorvette and shipped to me.
He was ripped off by F/C bad,double billed for parts, billed for parts he never got,and the motive kit was junk as well. The only selections for gears until Tom is restocked(09) is Yukon or Richmonds, both which I'd rather not use. I have setup Yukons and they were ok but I believe they are imported and I don't know how strong they are? Richmonds are a well known reputation.

I never used Motive but did "attempt" to use their master kit which a guy bought from fastcorvette and shipped to me.
He was ripped off by F/C bad,double billed for parts, billed for parts he never got,and the motive kit was junk as well.

that doesn`t come as much of a surprise, they have quite the reputation....

FC is a fuc8ing joke...Ed tried to debate with me and Gary that the springless setup is not good for high horsepower motors. He also said to use fiber clutches and 800 lb springs. Guess how they cut the endplay down on their side yokes? They have specially made washers which they put on the end of the yoke before the snap ring - can you say bubba?

Last edited:
diff parts went up again. I just got some parts in and the prices are up 10-25%. It will be interesting to see where this leads with some places, adjust the price, absorb a lot of it( me), or cut corners in the work?

It will be interesting to see where this leads with some places, adjust the price, absorb a lot of it( me), or cut corners in the work?

No doubt, the vendors will cut corners in work. God I love this forum - I can finally speak freely about vendors.

No doubt, the vendors will cut corners in work. God I love this forum - I can finally speak freely about vendors.
Some vendors are already cutting corners..they will pass on any increases to the customer or look for cheaper sources in 3rd world countries....and we all know too well what that means.............

Some vendors are already cutting corners..they will pass on any increases to the customer or look for cheaper sources in 3rd world countries....and we all know too well what that means.............

I've been screwed over numerous times by a vendor in Florida. I only deal with Mike Dyer and Gary Ramadei now. In fact, Mike Dyer can get me every part I need for my vette...even fiberglass if I wanted.

You are correct regarding vendors using cheap parts.

Last edited:
For a business it's about profit.... the question really is not if they cut corners (all do) ... but how many times can you cut one corner and still get away with the crap you're selling ???

:smash::smash:

For a business it's about profit.... the question really is not if they cut corners (all do) ... but how many times can you cut one corner and still get away with the crap you're selling ???

:smash::smash:

Unfortunately, there are vendors out there building units, and then they break on people. They blame the person who bought the part for the breakage, and they stand behind their part as being "quality".

LOL....they're right... it IS a Quality product.... it's just a low quality product... :trumpet::lol::trumpet:

diff parts went up again. I just got some parts in and the prices are up 10-25%. It will be interesting to see where this leads with some places, adjust the price, absorb a lot of it( me), or cut corners in the work?

3.73 and 3.90 gears gone? Figures, I finally found a center section complete ( Cherry has one) and now what? Richman?:tomato:

Well, I'm not in a hurry--unless I break mine.:smash: