Solid steeroids??

pro-touring

Have reinfoced steeroids brackets a´laTT,now im gonna try mount rack with theese alu-bushings to remove all flex in the steering!.Not sure how it will come out but but i let you now!.Here is some pics of alu-bushings.

009-1.jpg012-1.jpg011-2.jpg010-1.jpg

I either missed the thread, or forgot, can you post a couple pix of those reinforced brackets....kinda curious....

or gimme a link to your thread??

Thanks....:cool:

Are those for the GrandAm rack? Can you make more of those? I'd be interested in a pair, the floppy originals don't do it for me.

They fit my steeroids-rack,dont know if grand-am are the same?.
They are custom made for me!,but if there any is interest in theese i can check with the guy who made them!.
Merry Christmas!! to you all.

Steeroids' rack is a GrandAm rack. I think everybody who has solid brackets supporting the rack would be interested in these.
probably not a good idea to use these with the stock Steeroids brackets - these solid bushings will make those flimsy brackets flex even more than with the rubber bushings...

I concerned about lateral shock loading, say from potholes, curbs, all the rest of street driving over the years....hard on everything in site, that rubber being the only thing giving relief....maybe BREAK that cast rack housing??:rain:

Just finished with new rack-bushings,perfect fit and they look pretty nice too!.
To bad i can´t test it out,20 cm of snow here now!.
For thoose who may be interested in a pair of theese, send me a pm!,but to get a nice price on theese he want to do at least 10pairs!.
Here is some pics when installed.

alubussn001.jpgalubussn002.jpgalubussn004.jpgalubussn005.jpgI also found that my new lower steering column bearing has a lot of play in it,only after two summers driving!.
Think maybee the steeroids set-up puts some more forces on that bearing than it could take???.
Anyway to get rid of that sloppyness in the steering column i throw that plastic bearing in garbage,and put in a real SKF steel bearing that fit in there.Now it`s rock-solid.
Pics.alubussn006.jpgalubussn008.jpg
All inputs from you guys with big brains are welcome!!.All after all i hope my steering issues are gone now!.

Sorry,have no part.nr on that bearing!,i just went to a local store and pic one up with right innerdiameter.
And for the bushings we must wait and see if we can get 10 pairs!.
But only the alu-material is about 500 sek(1 usd=7.20sek)+work and freight!.

Grand-Am Rack - GRAND DAMN!
I'll PM for a set too. How about the basic mount to the chassis - too maybe?

Would be a sweat mod and make for some simple builds too. Probably could be a very worth while option for you. Count me in on that too if possible!
PM enroute!

Cheers - Jim

Grand-Am Rack - GRAND DAMN!
I'll PM for a set too. How about the basic mount to the chassis - too maybe?

Would be a sweat mod and make for some simple builds too. Probably could be a very worth while option for you. Count me in on that too if possible!
PM enroute!

Cheers - Jim

IMO, the commercial outfits are totally ape shit on over building the main bracket, yet somehow that thing fails....they LOOK like 1/4 inch steel in the pix, but yet posts about failures....

and meanwhile I have my same G/Am rack in place for 8 years now, and street driven daily....the mounts I did are very light and simple, yet apparently braced good enough...now it's true I don't race the car with super wide SCCA max tires....but they tires are overwide from the OEM design..

it makes me wonder...

:hissyfit::suspicious:

GENE -
DO you have any diagrams of you build (other than the ones I've found through various sources on the web) for the basic mounts? I'd like to get those if available.

I'd rather build my own set than a crappy costly commercial (C**3) solution. The Grand Am rack is around a hundred - and to pay over 10X for a poor set-up is not cost effective -- OK gotta make sure the whole bump-steer thing works out right - but should not be so difficult.

So, I'd rather pay a welder and make my own, and these bushing/interface mounts look real STRONG. And, any good interface details/design info from the unit to the frame an added bonus!

Cheers - Jim

PJock, Jim....I really don't have anything better, sorry, I know the drawings are crude but it's all I have...

basically take 1" square tube with 1/8 walls, drill for a longer 3/8 bolt through the two forward steering box mount bolts....angle it forward, and intersect another 1" angle piece welded to it, to hold the rack the angle on the bracket makes it higher off the ground...

the pass side is nothing, but the angles put that mounting bracket too close to the ground...so heat the end and put a bolt in vertically, picks up about 1.5 inches in clearance....

Like I have said, it's all junkyard and inspired by Idar Anderson, Finland I think....

:D

and really, my solution was SO simple, I seriously fail to see what is the big deal over it....

true it took some test fits, and two welded up mounts, but the second attempt works.....it did take some talking to get my welder buddy to do the work because it WAS the freeking STEERING after all, and him being shy about something happening if shit happened....

I do keep a eye on it, just because a example of ONE is hardly a verifiable engineering documentation....

Last edited:
I should have Idar Andersson's drawings somewhere, if not I know Keith from CorvetteEngineering still has them.

Ok,now i have 4 guys on the list!,is there any more people out there who wants to drive the steeroids set-up hard!!.
I was not intended to sell theese from the begining!,and i dont gonna do it more than this time!.
After this weekend i will check how many on the interest list,then come up with a price!,and we will work out some payment deal.

I'm sure there would be more interest if we knew the price... what if we get 10 buyers, how much would your guy charge per pair if he's getting orders for 10 pairs?