Calling Jim Shea

big2bird

Charter Member, Founder Bird-Run, Cruise-In Bird-R
Jim,
If the Saginaw box were to be reproduced in aluminum, would the case be strong enough?

I would expect that given the successful use of aluminum for differential housings that a steering box is certainly possible. I'd also suspect that like aluminum engine block replacements it would have to use a slightly altered mold configuration to get somewhat similar strength. High stressed thin areas in the current box would be a big concern in my mind.

Okay I have an Aluminum Fetish, Bird posted this on my behalf. The original Grand Sport had an aluminum box (Along with an alu. diff.) Since a production C2/C3 is heaver, I am not sure if a direct casting copy of the iron one would work, a beefed up copy or if it would need to be out of billet. Got to ask the question. Thanks, George

Sice Jim was in charge at Saginaw at the time, I am willing to bet this was examined by them at least once. (Maybe).

None of this needs to be particularly rational or cost effective. As long as it is not down right dumb.

All the easy items have been swapped out to aluminum, or carbon fiber. So now I am tackling some of the more unusual parts.. This and the rear end are on the list next.

It is just in fun anyway, my golf game. George

You would have to make one hell of a casting if it were aluminum, the mounting ears would be a weak point for sure. There is a reason that recirculating gears are still in iron cases (despite the desire to make everything lighter).

Okay I have an Aluminum Fetish, Bird posted this on my behalf. The original Grand Sport had an aluminum box (Along with an alu. diff.) Since a production C2/C3 is heaver, I am not sure if a direct casting copy of the iron one would work, a beefed up copy or if it would need to be out of billet. Got to ask the question. Thanks, George

Coincidentally, I just found this at Duntov Motors.

RD500.jpg

Aluminum Diff Cover

Although heavy, the iron differential cover is low and almost all the way back . That makes the differential cover about the last part of your racing Corvette to replace with a lighter piece. However, this part was available from the factory for Corvette racers back in 1963, Part # 0228635. If you want to be both trick and period correct, get one of these. We sand cast these covers in 356-T6 aluminum using an original GM wooden plug. It comes with a gasket. This cover accommodates the 1963-1977 2.25 inch rear leaf spring. If you are running a later model 2.5 inch rear spring, this cover won't work.

RD500 356T6 Aluminum Differential Cover $636

Here's a few pics of the billet housing I designed. At the time I was planning to modify the frame to keep the steering column in the same axis as with the stock box. However a lot of people seem to be satisfied with the Borgeson setup where the steering column is angled up to match up with the jeep box. This model could easily be modified to match the Borgeson geometry.

thum_534f0664e88af9a.jpgthum_534f0664e8e60ba.jpg:thum_5349596dd412e11.jpgthum_53495a0b9c27c1e.jpgthum_53495a0b9ceb110.jpgthum_53495a0b9da1d29.jpgthum_53495a0b9e5d758.jpg

I contacted Jim Shea when I was exploring this concept. This is his reply, :quote: "I do not believe that aluminum is the proper material to be used for the power steering gear housing. When the old 700 gear housing was cast from gray iron, Saginaw laser tracked the inside of the gear bore to harden it and prevent scoring of the housing. The later 600 gear has a housing cast from maleable iron."

I was planning to hard anodize the housing with something like this. Shortly after finishing the design, I lost my job and ended moving from Michigan to here and never followed through on actually building one. :crap:

Last edited:
Jim,
If the Saginaw box were to be reproduced in aluminum, would the case be strong enough?

Strength wouldn't be a problem, size would. Everything would have to be thicker. Then you would have to deal with different expansion rates being so close to the exhaust. The two bushings would have to be replaced with caged roller bearings and mounted in stepped bosses to prevent movement. Making the box even larger. Lubrication would be a problem since there is no fluid movement like in a power box. You could fill them to the top with 90w but that didn't work either.
If you look close at the GS box it is actually larger than a stock box and mounted to a custom tube frame. But it was designed back in the day when they were mounting deflectors on the hood to keep the front ends down.
An aluminum power box wouldn't work because the seals on the piston would eat up the housing in no time. Once the seals start to bypass fluid the box will hydro lock when trying to turn. A sleeve would help but then you're back to dealing with expansion rates. Besides, it's not the housing that's heavy. It's the gears.
Mike

Now Someone needs to make the other half of the case in ALU. TOM?

RD500.jpg

Aluminum Diff Cover
[/QUOTE]

Original GM wooden plug? Sorry guys but I was there when this "plug" was made. It wasn't wood and it wasn't original. But it did have wood glued to it.
Mike

Last edited:
Original GM wooden plug? Sorry guys but I was there when this "plug" was made. It wasn't wood and it wasn't original. But it did have wood glued to it.
Mike

maybe what Al meant was that it was an original "fast Corvette" plug? I wonder if the same people that cast those original aluminum XXX`s they had welded into their original Donovan GM block did the diff covers....and that new race car "they built" is a copy of a very fast 63 roadster built in OK, the Duntov boys wanted an original from that guy in OK right up until he told them the price, after that they decided to take all the pics they had and build (more like copy) the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now Someone needs to make the other half of the case in ALU. TOM?

RD500.jpg

Aluminum Diff Cover

Mike[/QUOTE]

Once I hear this kind of thing, the entire credibility of the company goes south.

Let's Recap:

Wife has shoes.

Daughters have boys.

Cats have fleas.

George gets car parts.

First to clarify I am only thinking the box, not the ram housing.

I should be able to deal with any bearing races with liners if nothing else.

As for thermal, There is not enough heat gain to cause problums.

KID VETTE, what is your background?

George