"Type F" trans fluid

JPhil

Huh?
OK, I had the TH400 trans in my '73 rebuilt by a trustworthy friend. It now has hot rod clutches (sorry, don't remember the brand name), 34 tooth sprag, Trans-Go kit, and 2.75/1.57 gear set behind a 2000 stall torque converter. (Into a 3.36 rear end)
He said to run "type F" trans fluid. Well I went to get some the other day and got confused---there are several types on the shelf at the stores. He's gone on vacation for a couple weeks, I'm finally getting it all together (fresh 'upgraded' engine, bunch of other stuff too) to go back in starting this weekend. I thought it would be easy--"Yeah I like need a case of type F tranny fluid". Ooops, learning curve just got steeper. My other hot-rod buddies say "we just run GM type Dexron". Uh and I hate to say this, but while they also run single & low double digit times and their blown engines are reliable, they seem to have more problems with their trannys---so that's why I'm listening to this guy about trans details.
He is a long time professional mechanic at a local GMC dealer and has in his garage a tubbed Vega & a tubbed moly framed 41 Chevy pickup which both run single digit times consistantly & reliably, so I trust his advice.
I've sucked out 3 quarts of Dexron (or whatever the fuck it was) from the torque converter but there's still a bit left and I want to pour some 'type F' in to mix and suck out to remove as much as I can of the Dexron before I put it back together. (Tomorrow's project--it was today's until I got confused.)
Mine's just a street car, but I want it to be bullet proof--next ticket should be a 'go to jail' rather than just points. (Yeah, but I've also finally realized--take it to the track, dumshit. Not the street. But I want to drive it to the track and back home and then to work in the morning.)

So my short & simple question is---What the fuck brand/label/specs do I look for at the Checker/ NAPA/ whatever store for "Type F" trans fluid to use?
He also said, " Don't mess with 'synthetics'-it ain't worth it, just good name brand off the shelf 'type F'."

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'm no expert but I think the "Type F" is the readily available FA. All my jags use FA and I believe the story goes that Ford used a different formula for a more aggressive "sporty" shift whilst GM's fluids were intended to be softer and smoother. I have no idea how that's done and I've never seen any comprehensible truth to that.

Just repeating hearsay and bartalk from the Jaguar websites.

My friend that has a tranny shop only uses F. It has slightly more viscosity, and will shift a little harder than GM. Just don't mix them.
As stated, Dexron gives a more cushy shift.
Any name brand is fine.

Long time since I seen a dedicated F fluid on the parts houses shelf......

they all seem to say good for all.....F/GM/import/Mopar.....I would like to enrich my 200 4r with F fluid, but both trannies seem to shift good and proper, but even with Trans Go kits, neither one will shift as good/fast/HARD as the tranny in my wife's Miata.....it's a auto, and man does that thing slam HARD....:devil:

never touched it, I wonder who did though......:crutches::D:ghost:

neither one will shift as good/fast/HARD as the tranny in my wife's Miata.....it's a auto, and man does that thing slam HARD....:devil:

Maybe it shifts the same, BUT, it's lighter.:amused:

neither one will shift as good/fast/HARD as the tranny in my wife's Miata.....it's a auto, and man does that thing slam HARD....:devil:

Maybe it shifts the same, BUT, it's lighter.:amused:

Lets see 2000 lbs, vs Vette at 3300, nah, no difference.....

8k lbs for the motor home, same 350 engine.....Nah, no difference at alll.....

:drink::trumpet:

when I rebuilt my TH400 I used the "old" style FORD ATF. Either the FORD or BM's ATF were the recommended "performance" ATF but for my application I could have used just Dextron.

From the TH400 TransKit instructions; consider the source...

Trickshiftspecs001.jpg