C3/4/5 frankenstein frame

"
Back to the carbon parts, Ive finally got a plan of action for the inner fenders. I picked up these cheap plastic trailer fenders that happen to work very well for the plan I have envisioned for the mold. Im having a very hard time putting any kind of paint, bondo or sealer on the foam (styrene). It distorts too easy under the smallest amount of heat from the curing reaction. Im hoping the plastic will be easier to work with in that sense, just harder to find the complex shapes I need."

Some guys are using expandable foam to make molds, check YouTube. Looks quick.

What is the width at the top of your rear l88 flares? Looks more than 4".

Last edited:
Some guys are using expandable foam to make molds, check YouTube. Looks quick.

What is the width at the top of your rear l88 flares? Looks more than 4".

Hey Bob, Sorry I forgot to grab the measurement this past weekend... Its actually closer to 3" (passenger side shows about 3.125")... These are not screwed into the body yet, but I cant imagine its going to vary more than .25" once bonded/ fit to the car
6155dc45fc695edd.jpg

Knocked this out tonight... small heat shield for the oil cooler lines and electrical going to the PS pump and alternator. .035" Titanium

6155dc4c84112de0.jpg

6155dc4c8412cc3b.jpg

Thanksgiving weekend, DMP fabrication paid me a visit and took my Vette back to New Hampshire with him to complete a few small projects. Here are some picture updates:
First project was to create a lightweight replacement for the lower bumper crossmember. The factory "bottom feeder" openings in the lower valance have been closed off and the new radiator duct will be where the factory crossmember was. The crossmember will also serve as a structural member to attach the front splitter to.

6155e0ac1ce41036.jpg6155e0ac1ce63711.jpg6155e0ac1ce85656.jpg6155e0ac1cea6e37.jpg

Here's why I send my car 6+ hours away to this guy;

Hollow stainless hardware
6155e0eaf93f3570.jpg

6155e0eaf94355a7.jpg

A quick strength test
6155e0eaf94564fa.jpg

It's hard to portray how big these front tires are... I think this picture shows it well :clap:
6155e0eaf93ce8ff.jpg

that is amazing workmanship and strength, as for the tires they look freaking huge, you don't need to convey that to us.

that's a neat trick on the bolts, I have never seen that before

So not much to show on the car, but some more cool parts rolling in... eBay "NASCAR carbon" has some very cool stuff for way cheap! I picked up two carbon brake ducts that dimensionally should fit my spindles/rotors pretty well. Figuring out a mount might be a bit trickier...

6155e49f54707565.jpg

Those are nice, I couldn't figure out why they were so reasonable, but I see they are nascar takeoffs.

Better order fast!

Last edited:
Hopefully everyone is in good health, Ive been taking this socially distancing opportunity to knock out a few small projects (since the vette is still at the fab shop). I seem to be far more productive when Im alone anyway :rain:

I started my carbon wiper door project... the plan is to keep this door 100% stock looking. I disassembled everything, claybar'd and waxed it, and started my layup. I should be able to get the stainless trim to mount up to this piece as well.
I thought about making a mold of the door, but... 1. it would add a ton of time and materials; and 2. I always had larger gaps between the fender and wiper door than I would like. This will make the door slightly larger to fix that.

This is two layers. Ill get the weights of the stock door and the new carbon once I get it pulled from the mold and trimmed up

6155e77ddf293b2d.jpg

6155e77ddf2c1150.jpg

some more eBay nascar carbon bits... Throttle pedal, although if it was used it looks like they wiped their shoes clean before touching this thing

I made it adjustable for height and angle. I don't know how many people adjust their pedal position often, but I figure on an auto x I may want the pedal higher compared to on a road course where I'm depressing the brake pedal further down, making a lower position better. I'd like to put in a mechanical stop as well. But I'll need the car here for that. I mocked it up in a customers '69 Vert for pedal positioning, but didn't want to pull his carpet up for the stop positioning.

I don't think I'll be keeping the vertical rest, but I'll wait until it's in my car before I cut it off.

6155e780fc15fda8.jpg
6155e780fc18e468.jpg
6155e780fc1baa01.jpg

And as far as weight, it's about the same as the stock pedal pad, pin and spring. Maybe another speed hole will make it eligible for the "lightweight" connotation :noworry:

Last edited:
cool parts. In my bike-racing days, we spent a great deal of time getting the dimensions of our bikes so that we didn't have to bring them to races... I use the same technique on cars, find what you like, measure all the various positions - then you can transfer it to whatever you're driving and you get up to speed a lot faster... even in wildly different cars