How much PITA to remove heater core?

The Artist formerly known as Turbo84
Clinging to my guns and religion in KCMO.
My heater core has been disconnected for several years after it started to leak one day. I only drive the car on warm days so I haven't missed the heater function. I weighed the new-in-the-box replacement (that's been sitting on the shelf for an equal number of years) and it weighs about 4 pounds, not including the additional water weight if installed). I'm kicking around just taking the leaky one out, and not putting the weight back in the car. So, how much PITA is it to access and pull out the heater core?

Thanks,
Mike

Mine leaked a good amount many years ago, and so having HVAC I had a royal PIA taking out firewall bolts, it all can be done by dropping the map pocket lower dash panel, but 50 billion bolts and much cussing later you can have it in your hand, no problem....more of an aggravation than a true effort.....

depending on how flexible you are......:smash::surrender:

Me, I just get under there and bypass the hoses.....but I know full well you are after ounces and a POUND drives you krazy.....:twitch::twitch::thumbs:

It was a bit of work but well worth it ...

100_0996Small.jpg

Cleans up the under dash area a lot ... Here's the fiberglass cover I made to bolt to the opening in the firewall:

100_1025aa.jpg

With no HVAC, makes the car kinda tricky in various weather, no defroster on the glass.....:cool:

If I remember correctly the heater core is inside that huge box..... That's a lot of weight you can remove......

IIRC I pulled mine out from the firewall without removing the whole box.
But... If youre not even going to have heat and you just want to keep the box & fan for the defrost why not pull it all out and just hook up a small fan to the defrost vent. Gotta be an easy 7-10 lbs

Does all that need to come out to get access to the heater core (mine's a non-a/c car)?

Before I switched to Vintage Air, I replaced the heater core in my non-AC '73 from the engine compartment. Fairly easy to do. I was glad as I didn't want to have to pull the dash for that job.

DC

Old thread, but I'm finally getting around to this. I'd like to just pull the heater core (I don't know how it's attached inside) and blower motor from the engine compartment side. (The heater core leaks, and has been plugged for decades.) Can I just remove the stud nuts from the fan plenum cover piece, remove it and the heater core, and then make an aluminum plate to cover the big hole? I know I'd be leaving (weighty) stuff under the dash, but I absolutely hate working on anything under the dash.

So, do I understand correctly that I can (probably) do this from the engine compartment side?

Thanks.

On a BB car with headers, it's a little more of a challenge. It's been a while but, to remove the box on the engine compartment side (where the heater core is installed) is a weird setup. The heater core is actually inside the interior of the car, mounted to a projection on the engine compartment housing. Also there is a screw that is fixed to the engine housing side and the nut for that screw needs to be removed from the inside (under the dash).

I have the box/assembly out of my car. I'll take some pictures today.

EDIT: I was thinking of the air box with AC. The non AC is simpler.

45ed2577a85ca2.jpg

45ed2577ab482e.jpg

45ed2577a5724d.jpg

Last edited: