Plastic Fantastic 2

time to make front grills... I have no idea what template they used for the fiberglass nose, but I can tell you it wasn't 1976
ymnUs00h.jpg
9Zj4I1Zh.jpg
all this so I can put tow hooks on the front
​​​​​​​BUjrRG5h.jpg

well, I've signed up for Optima Challenge at the end of May at Willow Springs; potentially could do the event at UMC (Utah) in mid July as well... also signed up for a couple autocross days... add a few sessions with an instructor and hopefully I won't make an utter fool of myself (fool is likely, just don't want to be an utter fool)..

:trumpet:Congratulations!:trumpet:

If you could squeeze in a track day or 2 that is always a good chance to sort ot the car, the crew and the driver!
That it is "streetable" you have an advantage of doing some of that in the neighborhood.

Again:
:trumpet:Congratulations!:trumpet:

Cheers - Jim

so it sounded like it was missing
set up for bumping it over
bYTR76Vh.jpg
indeed it was
ALVpUQ3h.jpg

I'm not thrilled with indicated oil pressure at idle (18-20psi), so I'll put a mechanical gauge on the block... also there seems to be condensation on the right side exhaust.... not blown head gasket but yet another thing to watch. My guess is I still have too much fuel at idle.... but too much is FAR better than not enough.
I suspect that I can add 2-4 degrees (16 now) of timing (I only saw 27 degrees above 3000). That said, I may lean it a bit more but leave the spark where it's at until I get some miles in it....

​​​​​​​ain't this fun?

Last edited:
thats strange, but look on the bright side, now you can cover it up and worry about it for the next 6 months, the gift that keeps on giving

thats strange, but look on the bright side, now you can cover it up and worry about it for the next 6 months, the gift that keeps on giving

Ever read the author Patrick McManus (wrote for Field and Stream)? He talks about a worry box.

His tl;dr is you have limited space in that box, and the greater the worry the more it fills the box until it tosses out the lessor worries in favor of the greater worries.

The rocker arm issue is so minor as it's got no chance of getting into the box until the day before I go to Optima - then that bastard will keep me awake all night before.

so it's all good, it's been scheduled.

I don't know if you have been watching the Optima Challenge on MAV TV. It is on at 9 PM (MST - Phoenix) tonight (26 Feb) and this segment will be last year's finals at COTA. Chris Ramey has been tearing GTV up with his C-4. There are a couple of C-3s and lots of Gen I/II Camaros, mostly with LS7s and full independent suspensions. Ramey has an LS7 also, with C-4 suspension and good aero. His road course times are often FTD - even faster than the GTL and GTS cars. Usually only Austin Barnes in his twin turbo, 1000hp C6Z is faster on the road course.

I don't know if you have been watching the Optima Challenge on MAV TV. It is on at 9 PM (MST - Phoenix) tonight (26 Feb) and this segment will be last year's finals at COTA. Chris Ramey has been tearing GTV up with his C-4. There are a couple of C-3s and lots of Gen I/II Camaros, mostly with LS7s and full independent suspensions. Ramey has an LS7 also, with C-4 suspension and good aero. His road course times are often FTD - even faster than the GTL and GTS cars. Usually only Austin Barnes in his twin turbo, 1000hp C6Z is faster on the road course.

TV? who has time for that?

dip my toes in the water, see how it goes...

in other news, before I go, I need to replace all the bushings with delrin or solid because the rear tires are touching the rear of the fenders....

14:00 "the two cheater Corvettes are ahead".... oh to be number 3 in that lineup
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrBhkmYo_j8[/ame]

I've got to start somewhere, might as well be here..

Last edited:
had to take the dash out to fix the door alignment....edited
HXhUUC2h.jpg
fixed
OqVrkPUh.jpg

still working on the window alignment.... what a hateful system

are you using any dense foam for the window to rest on at full bottom lowering height? almost to stop the thunk when it goes fully down?

are you using any dense foam for the window to rest on at full bottom lowering height? almost to stop the thunk when it goes fully down?

I've solved that problem with very loud sidepipes... without the thunk, I'd never know it was down... :rolleyes:

doors ugh
C3E6QVQh.jpg

the window needed to be moved back and then twisted to fit the opening.edited It's not perfect but it's better than GM ever did....edited
C3E6QVQh.jpg

one problem was the handle really had to be pulled on the inside to get out - given I have to be timed getting out of the car, that could be an issue.... the fix was basically move a shim
gZl7Zd7h.jpg
bWbHCcih.jpg
6hY4nDZh.jpg
and then finally, put the handles on
f2c9MbHh.jpg
xewfl4rh.jpg
easiest way - drill the holes large enough to get the handles through
RXBVktWh.jpg

wiper issue, this is going to be painful....edited
g4gpFdJh.jpg
qS4lbFEh.jpg

I'm in the process of finding tires.edited 200 AA treadwear is required - but I'm taking a higher-level view.edited If I was anywhere near competitive - then sure, the 10,000 miles (or a lot less) tires at 300-400 each would be fine.... but I'm taking a step back and getting 40k mile 320aa wear rating tires.... maybe next year after a bunch of autocrossing and track days... but I also want to drive this beast (and it is a blast to drive)....edited

​​​​​​​So the ones in the shopping cart are Toyo Proxes Sportedited

i have two sets of tires for my c5 the michelin supersports on the stock c5 rims , and the toyo proxies t1r on the zo6 rims.

I like both the tires but i dont think they would ever make it 40k, from general conversations with my friends 15 to 20k seems more like it what the "community" is getting