New Toy to rebuild

GTR1999

Gearhead
I got in a 1979 Grob Band saw for a decent price so we will rebuild it and use it. It needs new tires, new motor and pulley to bring it back to vari-speed, a good clean up but otherwise is in decent shape. The blade welder works and the table feed may work.

AsRecd1_zps0d09a4be.jpg

AsRecd4_zps2cdc31bf.jpg

Man, I'd love to have an HD Bandsaw. They never come up and they're aren't cheap. My shop teacher in HS found one (brand escapes me) for $200 and all it needed was a new power switch. Have fun with it!

We had a Grob just like that at our plant for almost thirty years. It came with an odd boomerang piece that fit with an air cylinder under the table. It would pnuematically feed material into the cut. Naturally the mechanics tossed that almost immediately cuz they didn't understand what it was for.

The bronze blade guides were the weak point. They just wouldn't guide and from new it would always cut to the left. I finally made some roller guides using small cam followers and improved it immensely.

I'll go back to your pics and see if I can spot the cylinder and control valve. There should be a regulator and I think the air fitting is on the back.

Steve

Yep, I can see the control knob on the left under the table, just by the speed change levers.

Oh, just reread your post and note you know about the table feed.....never mind;-))

Last edited:
Yeah this is going to be a nice saw. We already have it cleaned up and repaired some of the negect it had. The table now locks in place, welder works, I ground the blades on the blade shear today to see if it will cut better.

Still have to remove the cylinder and clean it up and test it. The feed sleeve with the holes in it and the square workholder ( boomarang) is missing.

I only remember getting one service call on a new Grob 30 years ago when I was a tech. They were just worked to death.

The guides are the weak area and the DoAll's are much better. I'll see how they hold up and maybe install the roller conversion.