C3-Jeep Steering Gear Conversion

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
I have finnaly finished the VetteMOD version of the Jeep steering gear conversion. I beleve this could be done for much less than the kits out there and this modification is stronger AND is a bolt on conversion. The only thing missing is the drawings for the modification to the Jeep gear. But, guess what? The drawings are available in the download section! Any machine shop could modify this box for less than $100.

The pitman arm used is the 73-76 Chevelle arm #7814221. Call a local salvage yard, I'm sure they can find one for you. This is also a bolt on.

I am also using the 3 original Vette mounting holes but using 7/16-20 x 5 1/2 inch long grade 8 bolts. These are available from any fastener supply or places like McMaster-Carr.

The only other thing you will need is (4) 12mm x 40mm long bolts to attach the plates to the Jeep gear and the plates that can be made from the drawing in our download section. Oh, and (4) 1/2 inch ID x 1/2 long spacers.

4489df9904577f.jpg

Pitman Arm
449bd087a0330b.jpg

Assembly
4489350f1f22bb.jpg

Machine Work on Jeep Gear
448559ee1a5bf9.jpg

When does the sale start? :D Looking good! Much better than how corvettesteering has the additional holes drilled with some actually intersecting. Spacers look a whole lot better too than those ugly strips they use.

No kit, but that's the beauty of VetteMOD. I will post drawings and anyone can take those to a machine shop and have them made.

Here are the hole dimensioned for the Jeep steering gear and adapter plates. The 2 adapter plates are 1/2 thick steel with clearance holes for the 12mm Jeep bolts and 3 holes tapped for 7/16-20 bolts.

I will put this drawing and a drawing for the adapter plates in the download section once I have verified the installation.

44859255fdc8a3.jpg

When does the sale start? :D Looking good! Much better than how corvettesteering has the additional holes drilled with some actually intersecting. Spacers look a whole lot better too than those ugly strips they use.
Yes, that is a better setup that what Tom includes in the set. Larry, where was this drawing about 2 months ago? I thought briefly about trying to come up with something better but then I just went with what I had...

1/2" think by how wide? 1"?

I might pick up the steel soon

All that I really need to make it is some drill bits and taps

Seems simple enough

Looks real good - a lot better than the Corvette Steering setup. What is the reason for using the 7/16 bolts? Also what are the reasons for using the Chevelle pitman arm rather than the stock Jeep? I'll be following this one! :bounce:

The 1/2" peice is 1 5/16" wide.

I used 7/16 gr 8 bolts because they are stronger and I will be able to get a tight fit in the frame holes. This will insure the steering gear dosen't move in relation to the frame. I may even use a longer bolt in one or two of the 4 bolts that attaches the plates to the gear so that it is threaded into the frame.

I didn't use the Jeep arm because the indexing flats on the spline cause it to be mounted at an angle. The Chevelle 73-up pitman arm is a bolt on and is approximately the same center to center distance as the original Vette arm. I may have found a source for them.

The input for the Jeep box intersects the steering axis for the Vette box, although the Jeep box is rotated 4 degrees.

JeepVetteCompare1.jpg

This has to be the best mod for these cars, I have been wanting to do this for years. I feel a little guilty tho, useing someone elses plan, I usually do my own trial and error but what the heck....... I'm going for it.
What "rag" joint is used here?

If I do I think I'll get a solid u joint if do it

Last edited:
No need to feel guilty about using someone else plans, thats why the ideas are shared here.

No rags joints are used, a universal joint with 48 splines by 1 inch on the column side and a double D joint on the box side.
I'm not sure about the size.

No need to feel guilty about using someone else plans, thats why the ideas are shared here.

No rags joints are used, a universal joint with 48 splines by 1 inch on the column side and a double D joint on the box side.
I'm not sure about the size.

Thanks Michel and 73, where does one procure said u-joint? I assume the column shaft must be shortend too, like the "other" kit.
Thanks, Frank

The joint used is is available through:

http://ww2.borgeson.com/

I will try to identify the parts used once I have done the inststal.

Header clearance is difficult to predict. My guess is that most small block headers will be OK but perhaps not all BB headers.

That is the one thing about my rack install that I had to change out the headers, they were an older tired, prone to gasket leaks set I picked up used about 3 years earlier, so scrapping them meant little....but the new ones are plenty of clearance for ANY stearing install,

my rack hopefully cured my habit of bumping stears.....

I hit a cow once, long time ago, hense a steady joke with me about bump stear....

:eek::smash::fishing: