Rear Brakes and Suspension.....Done!

BBShark

Garage Monkey
Staff member
After an embarrassingly long time, I have finally installed the rear brakes and suspension. I still have some things to work out, brake lines, parking brake cable, etc.

Also working on the front suspension and steering. I'll post pictures of that when I get a little further along.

458b2044c1b46e.jpg
458b2044cce7e4.jpg
458b2044b5e66c.jpg

Mike, Good eye! The track width is increased about 3/4 inch per side. But that is with the trailing arm front pivot mounted all the way out. So, if needed, I could shorten the control rods and reduce the 3/4 inch to less than 1/4. I guessing that I will need +20mm (.78") wheels so the added track should work out (and +20 is more available)

Marck, The axles are from a Dodge Viper. Shortened of course but otherwise stock.

I'll have to look into those dodge axles, how much did you shorten them? MY suspension is out by almost 2 inches

Is the differential raised up? Looks like the crossmember is modified out at the ends.

I've wanted to raise the differential on mine, but the rear bodywork floor is only about 3/4 of an inch above the differential housing. I'm still puzzled on why it seems that most everyone has room to raise the differential on their car, but there's not sufficient room on mine.

U-joints are the same as Corvette

Marck, The axles were shortened 4".

Mike, The diff is not raised but the pinion mount is down 1/4". Trying to get the diff/driveshaft and driveshaft/engine at the same angle. I finally did it but I'm pretty sure I will need to cut the tunnel to clear the TKO500.

older viper axles use the 1350 joints, the later stuff uses CV joints. Time to keep an eye out for slome viper shafts then. My 87 camaro is pretty much done as is my 82 trans am. Time to get back on the vette

I'm really surprised that no one makes a CV shaft/upper link kit for the C2/C3 suspension. You can get a kit for a Lotus Elan, and they probably built about as many of those total as GM built Corvettes in a year.

A couple of issues I'm working on.

The early C3 upper bumper is a conventional V shaped bumper and I replaced those with later (76-77 - up) bumpers. The later bumpers are taller and limit the suspension bump travel.

I have to make hard lines to the calipers that go from the Corvette fittings to a banjo fitting (on the calipers).

Still need to figure out the back spacing of the wheels.

older viper axles use the 1350 joints, the later stuff uses CV joints. Time to keep an eye out for slome viper shafts then. My 87 camaro is pretty much done as is my 82 trans am. Time to get back on the vette

I'd enjoy seeing some status updates on the car.

Yeh man, you not talked VETTE in so long, almost forgot you got one.....:fishing::eek:

Got the banjo fittings on the hard line. Installed the flex lines and park brake cable. Now the issue is that the flex line and park brake cable are uncomfortably close to each other.

458f625bedc84d.jpg