Burning oil

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
Hey guys, I'm working on my other little project engine and just noticed it's smoking pretty bad. A lot worse than I imagined. It's blue/gray smoke so I'm thinking I'm burning some oil. This is an engine that I just overhauled so I'm a little perplexed by the smoke. I had a local machine shop hone the block and it was loose, but within specs. Has new rings and new valves, guides and seals so needless to say I'm stumped. I know there's a way to determine if it's burning through the seals or rings but I've forgotten how to check. Someone want to clue me in?

Hey guys, I'm working on my other little project engine and just noticed it's smoking pretty bad. A lot worse than I imagined. It's blue/gray smoke so I'm thinking I'm burning some oil. This is an engine that I just overhauled so I'm a little perplexed by the smoke. I had a local machine shop hone the block and it was loose, but within specs. Has new rings and new valves, guides and seals so needless to say I'm stumped. I know there's a way to determine if it's burning through the seals or rings but I've forgotten how to check. Someone want to clue me in?

May want to look at the intake gaskets, baffle for the PCV valve, do a leak down at TDC, rings were put on correctly and were they the correct rings?? Did they use a positive seals every where and what kind??

Was this just a rering job as I have seen guys put new rings on pistons with worn out ring lands which will cause this problem!!!

Last edited: