Traction Control

With my 69 Coupe with a clone L88 engine, anytime I had a back wheel spin, I'd just push in the clutch a little and back off on the gas. Not very sophisticated. Of course, in those days, wheel spin was a little less dramatic since tires then...40 years ago, would break loose very easily before the engine could start making just really large HP ratings.

Today, if you have the rear tires initially break into a spin when the engine power curve goes to 500+ hp at 5000 rpm, control of the car can be a problem.

40 years ago it was near impossible to find tires (short of slicks) that wouldn't go up in smoke way before a BB started making real power.

I'd think that what you don't want is for the tires to stick and then all of a sudden let go when you get really deep in the pedal. Probably how those guys hit the wall at 50'.

With my 69 Coupe with a clone L88 engine, anytime I had a back wheel spin, I'd just push in the clutch a little and back off on the gas. Not very sophisticated. Of course, in those days, wheel spin was a little less dramatic since tires then...40 years ago, would break loose very easily before the engine could start making just really large HP ratings.

I read that one of Don Garlit's tricks was to tap the brake pedal during a tire spinning launch.

Now that I think of it, I used to drive with a lightly applied parking brake when trying to get traction in deep snow, then release it after I got going.

Primitive traction control?:mullet:

So what's the plan? Limit the TB opening when there's a differential in front vs rear tire speed?

So what's the plan? Limit the TB opening when there's a differential in front vs rear tire speed?

Plan is still in the "Pontification" stage, :beer: but leaning toward one of those 12 point drive shaft sensors Kevin found. Need to figure out how to program the Holley ECU, but detecting a sudden frequency jump (rate of change) over a preset threshold(s) sounds like the easiest approach. Davis Technology uses a microprocessor box to establish a learned average threshold(s) depending on driving conditions and/ or habits. That may be overkill for what I want. I know the price is.:bonkers:. I would then reduce timing by small increments based on time or magnitude over threshold. DBW throttle reduction could be introduced as a second stage. ??

Last edited:
Just an fyi, I ran into a problem with the VSS signal and cruise control on the Olds. It required a minimum pulse/rev to for the ecu to determine speed/throttle setting for cruise control. Even though it was calibrated to read correct speed, the signal was not stable enough to control the TB. I switched over to the 39 "teeth" on the reverse gear in the T10 as reluctor, problem solved.

Plan is still in the "Pontification" stage, :beer: but leaning toward one of those 12 point drive shaft sensors Kevin found. Need to figure out how to program the Holley ECU, but detecting a sudden frequency jump (rate of change) over a preset threshold(s) sounds like the easiest approach. Davis Technology uses a microprocessor box to establish a learned average threshold(s) depending on driving conditions and/ or habits. That may be overkill for what I want. I know the price is.:bonkers:. I would then reduce timing by small increments based on time or magnitude over threshold. DBW throttle reduction could be introduced as a second stage. ??