Rear Differential gear change overhaul.

Bullshark

I just purchased a TKO 600 for the Blue Angel 69 (American Powertrain) and need to change rear differential gear ratio. Right now there are 4.11's in it and I have a couple of 3.08's in storage. I would like to change one of those to 3.70 (3.73 ?) and overhaul in the process. The write-up in the Tech section is missing all the pictures. You know what they say, I picture is worth a thousand words. :lol:
Anyway, I seem tor remember a detailed post awhile back where Gary (GTR1999) walked us through the process. Might have been over on CF...not sure. Gary, If your out there, please chime in.

Thanks

Bullshark

Bullshark,
Are you planning the rebuild down in FL or will you be here? I want to swap the gears in my Olds. It would be great to see someone doing it in person.

Thanks Marck. I was looking at the article in Classic Corvette Tech section by Jeremy Smith. Didn't find Gary's

No, Will do the rebuild in St. Louis when I get back. Probably leverage some of Chips (Competition Marine Center) machine tools up Moscow Mills.

I'm here or on DC, no more CF for 4 years now.

Look like you have the thread now. One thing I don't try to gauge is the gap between the pinion seal and housing. Measure to make sure the seal is not going to hit the pinion yoke shield. Then I seat the seal in the bore until it stops. Using the hammer head weight only you will feel when it bottoms out.

Go with Tom's 373 they are the only US made vette gear set left. Motive, Richmond, Yukon are imported to my knowledge.

Gary, always great to see you around :)

Hey, just wondering if it would be smart to get a set of the 3.73 gears now while they're available..... not planning on a rebuild any time soon but my 3.55 gears are not ideal ... do you think these good quality gears are going to be gone soon ? How much are Tom's gears ??

I've bought TKO600 five speeds for my 68 and 70. Both cars have 3.73:1 diffs.
The 68 has a 395 (405?) hp ZZ4. The TKO is overkill for this car. I have a 70 project car which I'll looking for perhaps 600 hp. I have TKO600 for it also. (Never driven). I like the TKO600 5 speed since I think I can cruise at 70 mph at about 2000 rpm.

Gary, always great to see you around :)

Hey, just wondering if it would be smart to get a set of the 3.73 gears now while they're available..... not planning on a rebuild any time soon but my 3.55 gears are not ideal ... do you think these good quality gears are going to be gone soon ? How much are Tom's gears ??

Hi K,
Well if you plan on keeping your car and want to go to 373 in the future I would call Tom and order a set. I have to do the same next week. How long will Tom continue with them, I can't say but......

Presently I would not use any other brand, I have and have seen issue. When the good parts go away I'll probably stop building them rather then use junk, we'll see. You've been here and saw how I do things.

Another part going away is the GM Eaton posi cases. There is still some stock on this but the last dealership search was -0- across the USA. Lansing has some left. List is $423 these are not the same castings as the loaded posi's sold all over. I like the Eaton GM cases better.