700R4 shift kit recomendations

BangkokDean

I have found three shift kits available from Summit racing. If someone could advise the kit they think will be best for me? My problem is when in drive third gear comes in to quickly.Plus it stays in third gear when driving at 35 mph so the motor sounds like it is pinging when giving it a little gas.

Thanks, Dean

Here is what Summit has available.
TransGo Performance 700-2-3 - TransGo Performance Shift Kits
Part no, TRG-700-2-3

B&M 70235 - B&M Transpak Kits
Part Number: BMM-70235

TCI Auto 376000 - TCI Trans-Scat Valve Body Kits
Part Number: TCI-376000

Last edited:
The 3 links do not go to the products....but do go to Summit site....

at any rate, Over the years, all the trans guys have seemed to prefer Trans Go over any other....so I have always done Trans Go and have been happy....

:crutches:

Are you sure it's not the lockup?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

my kit from BTO had me take out the 3rd gear lock up solenoid. is yours locking up in 3rd gear? also for controlling lock up the B&M speedometer controller is the way to go it eliminates the low MPH lock ups.

are you sure the TV cable is setup right?

Are you sure it's not the lockup?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Actually I thought only 4th (overdrive) locked up? Anyways I don't know what is happening the trans shifts into third before you get to 30mph and seams to stay in that gear even when slowing down to 15mph.

I don't know what makes it lockup but I am wondering if it has something to do with my 700R4 speedometer output being the Dakota digital 4000 ppm sender that feeds the ECU then goes to the digital gauge (that works OK)I understand that a stock 700R4 spedo sending is 128,000 ppm?Like I said I don't know if that will effect the trans lockup or not.

TimAT, had recommended a few weeks ago that I install a shift kit to remedy the shift problem but I have not been able to contact him this past week, I guess he is out of town?

I will probable order TransGo Performance 700-2-3 - TransGo Performance Shift Kit from Summit racing.
Part no, TRG-700-2-3

Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Last edited:
my kit from BTO had me take out the 3rd gear lock up solenoid. is yours locking up in 3rd gear? also for controlling lock up the B&M speedometer controller is the way to go it eliminates the low MPH lock ups.

are you sure the TV cable is setup right?

Hi Bob, the TV cable is adjusted per the advise given on this forum.
My speedometer controller is the one supplied by Dakota digital, please see my reply to TT above.
Thanks, Dean

Do you have the VSS output split to BOTH the ECU and the speedo? That will not work properly, you need to get a dakota digital SGI-5l signal splitter.

Hook a scanner to the car when driving and VERIFY that the ECU sees the exact same speed as you are actually doing. Pressing the brake should unlock the lockup so if it goes into the "low" gear, depress the brake whils keeping light throttle to maintain speed (just need to depress the brakes enough to trigger the stop lights, no need to actually brake) and note the tacho readings

As for lockup control, no aftermarket gizmo comes close to the lockup control of his oem FI ECU

I just ordered a Dakota digital SGI-5 signal splitter, plus a TransGo Performance 700-2-3 Shift Kit from Summit.I needed to order this right away as I have a friend that will hand carry them back with him saving me many $$$

I have found a used stock 700R4 spedo sending unit that I will use along with the SGI-5 signal splitter.I am hoping by changing to a stock spedo sending unit along with the splitter for the digital spedo will solve my stalling problem?

Last edited:
I just ordered a Dakota digital SGI-5 signal splitter, plus a TransGo Performance 700-2-3 Shift Kit from Summit.I needed to order this right away as I have a friend that will hand carry them back with him saving me many $$$

I have found a used stock 700R4 spedo sending unit that I will use along with the SGI-5 signal splitter.I am hoping by changing to a stock spedo sending unit along with the splitter for the digital spedo will solve my stalling problem?

Dean, if you look at your wiring diagram of the 1227730 computer you find that on the page showing the VSS input , the purple/yellow wires, just under that you find two computer/digital outputs one a 4000 ppmi and the other at 2000 ppmi those can be used to drive your speedo and cruise, my speedo is still the stock mechanical but I do use the cruise control output :yahoo:

Dean, if you look at your wiring diagram of the 1227730 computer you find that on the page showing the VSS input , the purple/yellow wires, just under that you find two computer/digital outputs one a 4000 ppmi and the other at 2000 ppmi those can be used to drive your speedo and cruise, my speedo is still the stock mechanical but I do use the cruise control output :yahoo:
That is how it is wired now but the sending unit is the one that came from Dakota digital for the gauges only no ECU.

Do you have the wiring diagram you mentioned?

That is how it is wired now but the sending unit is the one that came from Dakota digital for the gauges only no ECU.

I tried to send the file here, but can't get them off my thumb drive witout some mess up or other......gimme you email addy and I can send to you directly 4 pages....

GENE

I tried to send the file here, but can't get them off my thumb drive witout some mess up or other......gimme you email addy and I can send to you directly 4 pages....

GENE

Hi Gene, I sent an email to you, thanks

Now one question I have at this moment, Is if the ECU has a wire that feeds the digital spedo with 4000 ppm why do I need the SGI-5 signal splitter? BTW my digital speedo works just fine now. But I ordered the splitter anyways as I am desperate in finding out why the motor shuts off all the time when hot.I really don't want to go to a carburetor after spending so much on this TPI setup. If I lived back in the states I would not have any problem sorting out these problems as there are so may people that can assist, but no one has any idea about american cars except my friend that did the original wiring for me.

Last edited:
Dean, with the computers we are using, I see no sense to any signal splitter,

as you see with the diagrams, the computer puts out a 4k or a 2k per mile pulse and so runs the cruise for me,

if you look at page 2 you see the IAC motor plug.....written in to the pin outs going down vertically you maybe not able to read clearly....

D
C
B
A

and the colors of the wires should be clear, not that the wire color you use are critical, obviously....but that the pins go to the right ones on the computer......

as you see with the diagrams, the computer puts out a 4k or a 2k per mile pulse and so runs the cruise for me,

if you look at page 2 you see the IAC motor plug.....written in to the pin outs going down vertically you maybe not able to read clearly....

D
C
B
A

and the colors of the wires should be clear, not that the wire color you use are critical, obviously....but that the pins go to the right ones on the computer......

Gene, I have also been in touch with Dakota digital and there service people are really great, I have given them all the info and I beleive some of my problems are that the sending unit that send the signal trans to ECU is the one that came with the gauges. Originally the truck had a 350 carburetor with a 350 auto, so the signal was set at 4000ppm just to feed the gauge, now they say an original 700R4 trans stock had a 120,000ppm signal to the ECU. I now think that is some if not all of my problems. But what I still don't understand is why my spedo works correctly? If the ECU receives only 4000ppm and the spedo is working wired as in your schematic????

It is a Thai new year and most folks here are closed plus its 98* outside so I will be cooling it for now. The new dizzy, shift kit and the Dakota signal split-er (that I may not need) will be here in around 10 days so not much will be happening till then.

As soon as I get to it I will surly continue this discussion.

Thanks all for everyone's support.

lost in the land of smiles,
Dean

Well I finally received the trans-go shift kit for my 700r4. I will have to drop the trans out to install all the springs and other assorted parts.

At this point I don't know what this kit does? Keeping in mind this is a street city driving truck that for some reason shifted to quickly into 3rd and did not feel right when driving due to when giving it gas it was bogging like it was in 4th gear and did not want to shift down.

I do hope the shift kit fixes this without causing it to be too harsh shifting?

D
C
B
A

Gene, I have also been in touch with Dakota digital and there service people are really great, I have given them all the info and I beleive some of my problems are that the sending unit that send the signal trans to ECU is the one that came with the gauges. Originally the truck had a 350 carburetor with a 350 auto, so the signal was set at 4000ppm just to feed the gauge, now they say an original 700R4 trans stock had a 120,000ppm signal to the ECU. I now think that is some if not all of my problems. But what I still don't understand is why my spedo works correctly? If the ECU receives only 4000ppm and the spedo is working wired as in your schematic????

It is a Thai new year and most folks here are closed plus its 98* outside so I will be cooling it for now. The new dizzy, shift kit and the Dakota signal split-er (that I may not need) will be here in around 10 days so not much will be happening till then.

As soon as I get to it I will surly continue this discussion.

Thanks all for everyone's support.

lost in the land of smiles,
Dean

Hey man, sorry I not got back, 4/4 was my b'day and so wife arranged a week long trip, and this thread got buried in that time span.....

1000 rpm is 60 mph.....4 pulses per rev of the cable, makes that 4000 at 60 you will never see 180- mph and live to tell the tale in that thing.....so 120k is just silly....and at that it would only be 12k not 120k.....

I am going by the tech lit for the above statements, in fact I have never taken a scope to the sending unit and counted pulses....

:thumbs:

Thanks Gene, I hope you had a great vacation. I think the guy at DD had made a typo in his 120K number. For now I am working on the trans, then I will drop in the new dizzy in and move the MAP to the top of the motor away from the heat. Then lets see how things work???

Cheers

Dean,
I'm going through this because I am dropping a T56 Trans in another Corvette I just bought and the T56 takes 17 Pulses Per Revolution.

I was told that the key was the 700R4 is 40 Pulses per driveshaft revolution and the math varies depending on your drive ratios.

I'm putting in a Dallas though, not a Dakota.

What did you find ultimately on the pulses per mile? I fear I may have problems too!

I try again to explain more clearly.....MY sending unit to the computer is an inline/exterior unit I bought some near 20 years ago, it puts out 4 pulses for every revolution of the speedo cable.....and the speedo indicates 60 mph at 1000 rpm of the CABLE, not the driveshaft.....which is why we have to play games with speedo drive gears to get correct indication when changing rear gear ratios, or in MY case changing entire transmissions, or for that matter adding FI to the engine, which in order to get a smooth idle without searching after being driven....I HAD to feed the computer with a correct speedo signal from the 4k/1000 rpm sender.....otherwise I would not have bothered....

remember, it's NOT engine or drive shaft rotation speed, but the SPEEDOMETER CABLE speed.....no relation unless it's set up/assembled correctly.....

:surrender::thumbs::smash: