Problems with my NEW Eaton differential

danielepiacenza

Hi to all friends,

in june I have recieved from Duntov my new Eaton complete differential with the upgrade carrier 4° series. When I have installed it under my vette ('71, 454) I heared immediately noise.

I have thinked the problem is only for the break in period, but during 2 mounths the noises from the differential are highter then in the past. I have changed the lube after 500 miles with the original GM oil and additive, but no resulting from that...

In the beginning the noise was only when I drive at costant speed, but now there is always, especially when I turn at low costant speed. Is true that there was (and there is) a leak of lube from the frontal yoke. I think the problem is here, in the pinion, but I don't know. I have buyed a new complete differential because I have not experience in rebuilt (and few time) and I needed car because "she" was booked in some historical manifestation here in Italy.

You don't know that in Italy there are few chrome bumpers, especially 454 manual transmission, unmolested. (I'm very glad to US people that have builted a fabulous car like vette, haha)

Now I don't konw how to do, my only wish is don't stop the car for long time. I recalled Duntov for explain my problems and I sent them the pictures of leak and the audio file of noise. They told to me the problem is in the shipment by UPS and a person from UPS was came to inspect the package (but it is in good shape). Now Duntov propose to me to send my diff. to them, they will repair it for free and resend to me. The cost for this operation is an half part of shipment. That is not a bad idea, but I stay without car for a long time. My idea is that duntov charge from my credit card an amount how I have to buy another differential. They after send to me a new differential as my old one and i send the old to them. In this case I remove the old and instal the new in one day. What do you think about that? Do you have another solution for resolve my problems?

I don't have experience in business out of my country. At this moment I can't write bad word about Duntov, I know that is possible have a problem, important is resolve that with the minor impact on the costumer. Stay tunned.

Bye to all

Daniele

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 13072010738.jpg
    13072010738.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 15
That are the pics of package. If you see something wrong, please tell me.
I have also other pics, but I think is not necessary. I don't know how attach an audio file, is possible? I'm sorry for my bad english.

Attachments

• 13072010744.jpg
    13072010744.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 13072010742.jpg
    13072010742.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 13072010741.jpg
    13072010741.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 13072010740.jpg
    13072010740.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 13072010739.jpg
    13072010739.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 8
Hi to all friends,

in june I have recieved from Duntov my new Eaton complete differential with the upgrade carrier 4° series. When I have installed it under my vette ('71, 454) I heared immediately noise.
Bye to all

Daniele

hey it could be worse, your differential could look like this one...Duntov rebuilt it too.....I bet they give you the same excuse they gave this guy..."It`s not our fault".

2009-11-27175828.jpg

Now I don't konw how to do, my only wish is don't stop the car for long time. I recalled Duntov for explain my problems and I sent them the pictures of leak and the audio file of noise. They told to me the problem is in the shipment by UPS and a person from UPS was came to inspect the package (but it is in good shape). Now Duntov propose to me to send my diff. to them, they will repair it for free and resend to me. The cost for this operation is an half part of shipment. That is not a bad idea, but I stay without car for a long time. My idea is that duntov charge from my credit card an amount how I have to buy another differential. They after send to me a new differential as my old one and i send the old to them. In this case I remove the old and instal the new in one day. What do you think about that? Do you have another solution for resolve my problems?

I think your idea of having Duntov send you a replacement before you ship the other back is a good idea. However, I doubt that Duntov will do this and I would not trust them to send you a "good" replacement.

If I were in your situation, I would buy a rebuilt unit from Bairs Corvette. That way you can swap the new unit with yours and send yours back to Bairs for the core. So you will not have the car apart for a long time.

http://www.bairs.com/rearends.asp

I wish I had a better idea for you.

If you want your diff done right don`t return it to Duntov send it to Mike Dwyer (tracdogg2) or Gary Ramadei (GTR1999), sure you will have to pay but knowing it was done correctly by someone who knows what he is doing will be worth that cost...that or contact your credit card company and tell them Duntov sold you defective merchandise....

Last edited by a moderator:

If you want your diff done right don`t return it to Duntov send it to Mike Dwyer (tracdogg2) or Gary Ramadei (GTR1999), sure you will have to pay but knowing it was done correctly by someone who knows what he is doing will be worth that cost...that or contact your credit card company and tell them Duntov sold you defective merchandise....

Thanks to all for the interest. With this solution I lost the money I payed to Duntov. My first choise was Gary, but he is always full of work (there is a reason, I know). In your opinion where can I buy a complete differential that work good? Usually I drive "happy" with my 454 manual transmission mild pumped.

Excuse me if I use you, but the language is an hight barrier when I want be undestrand correctly.

Daniele

a pics of my old differential ....:cussing::bomb:

Attachments

• 29052010626.jpg
    29052010626.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 20
  • 29052010625.jpg
    29052010625.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 29052010623.jpg
    29052010623.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 29052010622.jpg
    29052010622.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 29052010621.jpg
    29052010621.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 23
other pics for you

Attachments

• 29052010632.jpg
    29052010632.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 18
  • 29052010628.jpg
    29052010628.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 11
Thanks to all for the interest. With this solution I lost the money I payed to Duntov. My first choise was Gary, but he is always full of work (there is a reason, I know). In your opinion where can I buy a complete differential that work good? Usually I drive "happy" with my 454 manual transmission mild pumped.

Excuse me if I use you, but the language is an hight barrier when I want be undestrand correctly.

Daniele

I think you may be able to recover your money through the credit card company as suggested above. It is worth checking into.

Gary and Mike are the best as you said however, are busy as you said. The Bairs Corvette differential is not rebuilt to the standards of Gary or Mike but I have only heard good things about their service. I have used them for other things and was very happy with their work. On the other hand, I have heard a lot of bad about Duntov service.

Daniele,
Hi I just saw this post and I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I'm sure Duntov scans all the forums so Edward probably has seen this by now or soon will. It's bad PR for him so I would expect you will get something, the cost of replacing a diff is less that the negative feedback this leads too. Don't you agree Edward? No need to PM me this is not an attack just a statement of fact plus I won't bother to answer anyway.

We did communicate before you made a decision and I suggested a build that would hold up but lead time was longer then you wanted so you elected the route to where you are now. That's ok, I have no bad feelings about just too bad you're back to where you are that's all.

As BB said Bairs is about the only vendor I would recommmend but that would be for a stock rebuild, we saw what your right foot has done to the stock units and will again most likely. If you need it fast Brian Bair should be able to help but you should consider how hard you push the car. Briar is a good guy and you should tell him how you're going to drive the car.

Mike can build you a strong unit, we build similar versions to each other. Few will build them as we do, I don't anyone else that does in fact.

If this was my car, or more appropreately my sons because he beats them up pretty good, I would go with my Super 10 bolt or 12 bolt build, the stock setup just isn't going to work a long time- again unless you let off on the pedal some.

Keep us posted on what happens, I would expect another unit though soon. It may not last any longer but who knows, we'll all hope for the best for you.

Last edited:
Daniele,
I'm sure Duntov scans all the forums so Ed probably has seen this by now or soon will. It's bad PR for him so I would expect you will get something, the cost of replacing a diff is less that the negative feedback this leads too. Don't you agree Edward? .

Fortunately Jimmy and Sonny aren`t members here or at CF.....

Hi Gary,
I have only good words about you and your work.:drink:

just few minutes ago, I have recived a mail from Duntov:clap:. The send to me a new differential. Forst charge on my credit card the amounts for the new and when the have back the old refound me for the entire amount. The cost for me is the shipment from US to Italy.

I hope that this time the problem is resolve. In this case I will not write bad about Duntov. I'm a simple man who wants think good about all if is possible. The time give us a sure response.

P.s. Is correct to write that the person who write me in this period was always kindly and gentle.

I hope the story will end with a beautifull and not broken differential. I ask to Duntov if is possible have the lube I have used in the old differential and a little upgrade (for example REM Coated ring and pinion) for recharge me of the problem caused from them.

Stay tunnend. I will write (in my bad english) as soon as have news.

It's nice to see a happy ending nowadays, especially with this being a long distance transaction. Compliments to all and best of luck with the replacement unit!

Lee

PS - I think your english is pretty good!

Daniel,

Sorry to hear the first diff failed.

Good to hear that Duntov is making good on this.

Keep us posted.

Also, your English is not bad at all.

Paul

Now I have only to know when the new one will arrive. I hope all will be ok, but now I have fear for what I have read and for my last experience. My car never remain in garage in summer.

I have thinked that, when the new didifferential will arrive, I rebalaced all the shafts. Probabily is not necessary, but now I can hear a vibration under the car and on the gear lever when I drive more than 40 miles\h. Sure the problem is in the differential frontal yoke (because with the old one the problem there isn't), but I don't want to risk. I don't know if the u-joints coul be damage from this vibration. They are new (1 year) and good quality.

What's your thinking about?

For Gary: You know I'm in debt with you. Thanks for all.