81 Q-jet issue

GT6Steve

Friends, I am perplexed

I have a carb problem that has me stumped

It came on suddenly. One afternoon I could not run at the just off idle transition. Car revs freely in neutral but won't move under load. Stalls and balks but then runs freely when on open road. I immediately suspected the acclerator pump so looked there. To my surprise I found the return spring missing so felt justified (How did my rebuilder lose that and how has it been OK for a couple years? LOL)

Anyways, that was not the solution

Can anyone provide guidance? Where should I be looking? Vacuum?

I'm stumped at the moment

It's been a while but I've had my share of Q-jets. They all had strange intermittent problems, Most traceable to the accelerator pump and vacuum secondaries. The weird thing is I would take them apart and not really find any problems.

I sent a Q-jet to a guy that was the Q-jet guru about 30 years ago. If I recall correctly that one worked for years with no problems. However I forget what he did.

It gets curiouser...

TPS came apart when I took the top off the carb so it seems likely it was the issue. Replaced it and still running awful

While poking around I noticed the secondary metering jet holder was jammed fully up. Upon disassembly I discovered a bit of broken phenolic cam that rides on the shaft there, Anybody know if this part is available? It doesn't show on any exploded diagrams.

How significant would it be with these metering rods fully raised?

Anybody got a computer Q-Jet for sale?

I have the one that came off my 81 you can HAVE. I'll give you every bit of computer stuff off that car if you want it. I might even have a Hypertech chip for it somewhere. Plus, I have the electronic dizzy that goes with it too.
I'm never going back to that shitty CCC system.