Need some ideas on how to hook the power steering lines up

JeffP1167

First of the car is a 82 corvette, what I am in the process of doing is removing all it's original V-belt accessories and installing a 1984 corvette serpentine drive.

First problem

original 82 lines don't look like they will fit the newer c4 pump for one. Could a place like hosemart make me a hybrid line from a 84 and 82 pressure line? Or is the a small chance the stock 84 line would just fit my 82 and work. I don't have that line to test that possibility or does anyone know if the flare design and threaded nut that screws into the rack assembly might be the same as my 82 end.

Second problem

How will my power steering ram react to the 84 powersteering pressure if there really is a difference or would I be best off removing that flow control valve or whatever it is called that threads into the pump and install it into the 84 pump?

Last edited:
I did my serp conversion in '95 within a few months of buying the car....even before the FI was put on ...it's a '72.....

I took the large brass valve and pressure stuff from the '72 pump and put it in the serp pump, worked fine....been there since....

years later I put a rack on this '72 for the quicker ratio and improved handling....that is when I just cut the metal line with a typical pipe cutter, and bought a brass compression union from like Lowes Depot....to change from the later O ring connection to the early flare connection...which BTW it still on the car, apparently I got lucky as Jim Shea said through the years that the early pump put out like 900 lbs and so using the O ring regulator/flow valve would have knocked the shit outta my stock steering, before the rack swap....

so my rack runs on lower pressures/flow than designed for....oh well, not a issue I can find....some time later I even added Hydroboost, still not an issue....

:smash::twitch:

so that valve will screw into this 84 pump?

It should, it bolted into my '87 pump which is still on the car ....but there are 2-3? pieces to that valve that will fall out when you loosed the large brass nut the line screw into....

:nuts:

so that valve will screw into this 84 pump?

It should, it bolted into my '87 pump which is still on the car ....but there are 2-3? pieces to that valve that will fall out when you loosed the large brass nut the line screw into....

:nuts:

perfect! the 82 line where it goes into the pump is sort of an "S" shape while that part on a 84 looks like an "L" shape. The 84 pump still has a good section of line on it so I will try grafting them together with one of those fitting you mentioned.

I've for the most part given up on my 90 corvette project ... Just love the looks of the 82 vette more, sure probably wayyyyyy slower then my 90 but a 82 vert will turn head long before the 90 ever would.

Later down the road I may have this frame converted to accept C4 suspension so a rack steering system is in the cars future.

Later down the road I may have this frame converted to accept C4 suspension so a rack steering system is in the cars future.

NOT having much bux to spare, I am a junkyard hotrodder.....and as such snagged a fresh to the car rack for 35 bux....'92 Grand Am...the engine was even outta the car, making it SUPER easy....snag of the century....

got my welder buddy to TIG up the brackets for maybe 3 times before they were 'right'.....I have PDF of them if you want....

they not complicated shit like the commercial units, but been on my car for some ten years now, and not missed one beat....

:twitch::smash::thumbs:

I can't see going nutz with all the C4 shit when getting 95% of the way there with a rack, springs, shocks, wheels/TIRES, and Hydroboost brakes does the trick pretty damn good....

:smash: OH, and one of them front arm cross supports....

NOT having much bux to spare, I am a junkyard hotrodder.....and as such snagged a fresh to the car rack for 35 bux....'92 Grand Am...the engine was even outta the car, making it SUPER easy....snag of the century....

got my welder buddy to TIG up the brackets for maybe 3 times before they were 'right'.....I have PDF of them if you want....

they not complicated shit like the commercial units, but been on my car for some ten years now, and not missed one beat....

:twitch::smash::thumbs:

I can't see going nutz with all the C4 shit when getting 95% of the way there with a rack, springs, shocks, wheels/TIRES, and Hydroboost brakes does the trick pretty damn good....

:smash: OH, and one of them front arm cross supports....

I never planned on going nutz on the C4 suspension change. Someone else is going to do the work hahahaha.

Actually I got every possible part to a C4 suspension for free so I figured what the hell go for it.