Assistance needed

I don't know, he knows spark plug is French for spark plug
True, quebecers only use english word for auto mechanic.
At first it was confusing.
Now it's confusing when I talk about my project with French people.
Spark plug in french french is "bougie" (candle).

You want a funny one?
My Dad, like a lot of people of his era used to reffer to the dizzy as the "Delco", from the brand.

spark plug in French is bougie...
Of course, the Quebequois is not quite french :)

I love Quebequois.... La voiture is Le car..... which is (coincidentally) a terrible translation of an automobile.

I love Quebequois.... La voiture is Le car..... which is (coincidentally) a terrible translation of an automobile.
I beg to differ sir.
In French the car is "la voiture", or "l'auto(mobile)", but I quebecer it's "le char" which means a tank (armored vehicule) in french.
As cars are usually bigger here, it kind of makes sense.

I beg to differ sir.
In French the car is "la voiture", or "l'auto(mobile)", but I quebecer it's "le char" which means a tank (armored vehicule) in french.

Actualy ''le char'' comes from carriages pulled by horses or bulls, cow or even mooses.
they used to call those boggies ''char''

I beg to differ sir.

Actualy ''le char'' comes from carriages pulled by horses or bulls, cow or even mooses.
they used to call those boggies ''char''

when I lived in France, they taught Quebequois like it was a foreign language :stirpot: which it is :D

That said, it wouldn't surprise me to have been misled by the French.... when they're not busy surrendering; they do other bad things :goodevil:

oh yes, and denpo is being funny - I said it was la voiture or le car.... he said "la voiture or le char" In french the letter "h" doesn't exist as a sound.... so to say out loud what he typed would be le car... funny guy :thumbs:

Last edited:
when I lived in France, they taught Quebequois like it was a foreign language :stirpot: which it is :D

In french the letter "h" doesn't exist as a sound.... so to say out loud what he typed would be le car... funny guy :thumbs:

Ok 1 the difference between french from France and Québecois is like american english spoken in Texas and north Carolina.

Québec language is called ''joual'' and if you go east provinces theres another dialect called ''chiac'' that is a mix of Acadians french and english.
Yeah the same Acadians that were deported in the 1750 when the brits kicked out the french speaking communities out.
The same who landed in New Orleans.
They were Acadians and the name became Cajuns later.

Now we say CHAR and we do pronounce the H in this one.

Hey sorry to highjack this thread LOL

Last edited:

In french the letter "h" doesn't exist as a sound.... so to say out loud what he typed would be le car... funny guy :thumbs:

Ok 1 the difference between french from France and Québecois is like american english spoken in Texas and north Carolina.

Québec language is called ''joual'' and if you go east provinces theres another dialect called ''chiac'' that is a mix of Acadians french and english.
Yeah the same Acadians that were deported in the 1750 when the brits kicked out the french speaking communities out.
The same who landed in New Orleans.
They were Acadians and the name became Cajuns later.

Now we say CHAR and we do pronounce the H in this one.

Hey sorry to highjack this thread LOL
Don't worry, OP's request have been fullfilled, the thread can be derailled.:evil:
And yes Michel, you are right, my apologies, I should say French from Quebec and French from France.

I enjoyed the discussion about the differences between French French and Quebec French. There are parallels in the English speaking world. I had the unusual, and really interesting experience, of interacting with Australians in the Outback. I took me a matter of years to fully understand what they were saying. Use of different words and a heavy accent meant conversation was very difficult (impossible) until I acclimated. Outback English is a combination of Cockney and Irish English. Outback Australians, because of the fly problem I think, also speak without moving their lips very much which makes things even more difficult. In the small community where I lived, an attendant at the gasoline station would pump your gasoline (petrol). The often attendant was a woman from Wales. After years, I don't think I ever understood anything she ever said to me and she was speaking English.

In the early 1980's my then wife was fluent in Irish Gaelic. She did her High School leaving exams in Gaelic to get a priority placement in University. We picked up an old man hitchhiking in Dunnygaul, the Northwestern part of Ireland were there were still native Gaelic speakers. (Safe to pick up hitchhikers there.) The old man talked quite a bit. My wife said later she didn't understand anything he said. She said she could detect Gaelic and English words, but couldn't understand anything.

Even when we think we speak a common language, dialects and accents can seriously make things difficult for the unexperienced.

Winston Churchill said that Great Britain and the United States are divided only by lack of a common language :crutches:

Winston Churchill said that Great Britain and the United States are divided only by lack of a common language :crutches:

I used to have a book about the differences between British and US English...... no idea what happened to it but was great.....

examples : ask for a wake up call at the hotel..... "could you please knock me up at 7?"

now that would get you some attention if you say that here in the US......

or in a business meeting .... "let's take a five minute break to stretch and maybe smoke a fag" ....

lol