Starter solenoid wiring question

JPhil

Huh?
I'm installing my new TKO 600, replacing the TH400. The neutral safety switch on the TKO is on the back of the tranny, whereas the TH400 one was on the shifter quadrant in the console. The OEM wiring to it is 12 gauge, the TKO switch has what looks to be 14 or possibly even 16 gauge wire to it. I can't tell exactly because it has a connector on the end which I have not yet cut off.

My question is can the smaller gauge wire on the switch handle the current for the solenoid, or should I install a relay. I can put a relay in, but I would rather keep the wiring as simple as possible, running it direct the way the factory did it.

Thanks for any insight,
John

:shocking: Do it the simple way, you would have to hold that solenoid for hours on end to heat up the thinner wiring......

:shocking:

I'm installing my new TKO 600, replacing the TH400. The neutral safety switch on the TKO is on the back of the tranny, whereas the TH400 one was on the shifter quadrant in the console. The OEM wiring to it is 12 gauge, the TKO switch has what looks to be 14 or possibly even 16 gauge wire to it. I can't tell exactly because it has a connector on the end which I have not yet cut off.

My question is can the smaller gauge wire on the switch handle the current for the solenoid, or should I install a relay. I can put a relay in, but I would rather keep the wiring as simple as possible, running it direct the way the factory did it.

Thanks for any insight,
John

I don't know how yours is wired, but mine's path to the solenoid was like a scavenger hunt--firewall disconnect, neutral switch, ign switch, seat belt relays, starter interlock bypass relay, etc--any of them a potential bad connection for the solenoid. Run yours as is and the 16 gauge is a built in fusible link. As is, the stock setup has a constant hot wire to the starter (mine was melted by the exhaust pipe). If you're going to re-wire the system, now's the time to do it.

I ended up with a Ford solenoid in the rear compartment for the straight shot to the starter, jumping the (GM)starter solenoid with the starter 0 gauge wire, running a MaxiFuse for the rest of the car. The Ford solenoid sinks less current for it's relay coil. The Interstate battery man set me up with a BMW battery vent system.

014_zps413bf6d5.jpg

Mine is wired pretty straightforward-- 12 gauge red from battery terminal on starter motor to the shared hot terminal on the horn relay, 12 gauge red from there through firewall bulkhead connector to ignition switch, 12 gauge purple/white from solenoid terminal of ignition switch to neutral switch, 12 gauge purple back through bulkhead connector to solenoid on starter motor. I extended the 12 gauge from the console about 24 inches to get back to the transmission switch on the tailpiece, where I'll have about 4 inches of the smaller gauge wire to and from the switch with a weatherproof connector soldered in.

Last edited: