In Tank Pumps

rod70

I'm putting a LS into my '70 C3. This requires an electric fuel pump. From what I've read so far, it is better to have the pump in the tank rather than surface mounted on the frame for reasons of noise and additionally keeping the pump cool while running.

'Tanks' sells a nifty Walbro universal conversion unit that appears to do this with moderate changes to the tank. 'Fast' also has a system that seems to require more work to install. Has anyone any previous experience with this situation for top/body clearances or have other knowledge that I should know about.

I have had a ~2" diameter ~5" long pump wrapped in some radiator hose and using a hose clamp, it is tied to the rear frame cross support under the tank in my '72, if I run the thing with engine off, yeh, you can hear it, but with engine ON, hell no, not even close....I have a 355 roller engine, with LT1 induction and it runs ~40 lbs pressure....

:cool::noworry:

OK, thanks for that. It is hard to see between the lines on the advertisements.

The pump came from a local Auto Zone, with input on one end, and electric connections on the other, along with output I want to say it was Walbro, but it's been something over a decade now....sorry man, no remember....

But the trick is, when tank gets lo, the pump runs dry and engine stumbles/dies in quick corners.....I finally put a 5 gallon tank forward and below the stock tank.....one of them 5 gallon steel airtanks from Harbor Freight, NOW I can corner like a bandit on a 'empty' tank and never kill engine.....I cheat, I know....but my cost was like 30 bux some years ago....today figger 60 bux....plus some work, of course....

PM if need help....

:cool:

First of all, get in contact with Aeromotiveinc.com. They sell fuel pumps for modern applications. They're service department can talk about the pump you need for the LS.

You have a 70 fuel tank?......get rid of it. Buy a new Quanta factory duplicate fuel tank for a little over $200. With a new dry fuel tank, you can find someone to weld in capability for an in-tank pump with no hassle about fuel fumes.

My 70 tank looked just find. I removed it anyhow, and the stress of removing i caused it to be a leaker. Corrosion had reduced the body walls in some places to the thickness of paper. In the stress of twisting and pushing/pulling to get it out, the walls ruptured. 44 year old fuel tank??? Get rid of it.