Noise in 97 LT1 help

I'd be looking for the wooden broom handle, that's my mechanic's stethoscope.

I am far from expert but it sounds like a pump, air or power steering? Fan hitting shroud?

I don't believe that anything inside the engine can cause a noise like this,,,,,,,,

Sounds pretty bad though.....

Put my hand on oil pan above the rack and pinion and feel something tapping on the oil pan.

holy crap..... why would that start after the engine swap ???? Damn, I don't remember, can you pull the oil pan down with the crossmember in place ????

Did you dent th re oil pan during the swap?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Thats possible, because this engine never made a sound prior. Thinking maybe tack weld some small nuts on oil pand then thread some screws in and pry the dent out. This seems to be a very shallow pan up front.

Thats possible, because this engine never made a sound prior. Thinking maybe tack weld some small nuts on oil pand then thread some screws in and pry the dent out. This seems to be a very shallow pan up front.

Wouldn't recommend this with oil in the pan

Wouldn't recommend this with oil in the pan

Yeah was going to drain it. No way possible to remove pan without taking motor out again.

Even if you drain it..... That might actually be even worse as you will have a good oil coating and lots of air in there......
If it really is dented: pull it..... If it's not dented pull it to see wtf is going on in there..... No win shituation......

Even if you drain it..... That might actually be even worse as you will have a good oil coating and lots of air in there......
If it really is dented: pull it..... If it's not dented pull it to see wtf is going on in there..... No win shituation......

easier said then done, was hoping just idling it the crank would get the dent out, it has gotten quieter though from 30 minutes of idling.

But like I said I can feel something hitting the pan and that is about where the noise is coming from. LT1 seems to have a very shallow area on the front of the pan and only thing that could have done it was the rack since it is just below it.

if you drain the oil and weld on it, chances are it will go kaboom...that will take care of the denkt (there's always fuel vapors in the crankcase)

Fill it with water, then weld, drain water, refill with the old oil, run the engine to boil off the remaining water......drain, refill with fresh oil.....

Not really great but at least safe..... Your video would be impressive but you would probably get hurt by that fire..... Lol....

best would be to get one of those stud guns and use that. That crank lobe is going to punch a hole through that pan sooner or later

Fill it with water, then weld, drain water, refill with the old oil, run the engine to boil off the remaining water......drain, refill with fresh oil.....

Not really great but at least safe..... Your video would be impressive but you would probably get hurt by that fire..... Lol....

I can run pretty fast, will just fully insure car prior to doing it.

best would be to get one of those stud guns and use that. That crank lobe is going to punch a hole through that pan sooner or later

Whats a stud gun?

http://www.harborfreight.com/stud-welder-dent-repair-kit-98357.html

Dont think there is room to use that. Tomorrow going to attempt to hold engine up while car body is on jack stands, then drop engine/suspension cradle and pull the oil pan.