Karsten's Gift TH350 Tranny Installed

Red

Some may remember that I hurt my TH350 tranny racing my 79. It was while I was waiting for DB to send my heads and I was out $770. This was right around Christmas and in the spirit of the season Karsten offered the trans from his 79. He swapped a 5-speed in, so the auto trans was not needed. I changed out my hurt transmission for his a few weeks ago, but my computer already had too many pictures stored. I just got around to clearing them out and loading the new pics. BTW...Picasa works great for image storage.

This is a picture of my front end being raised for the tranny removal. I have been using a pressure treated 4x4 post about 33 inches long and under the lower control arms for years.
TH350TrannySwap008.jpg
In this picture I dropped the pan for a cleaning and filter change.
TH350TrannySwap015.jpg
The car is up for clearance and the trans ready to go in.
TH350TrannySwap017.jpg
This is the right side going up. Notice the dipstick tube and any ferrous metal was painted POR gloss black.
TH350TrannySwap020.jpg
It was well over two years ago that I finished the underside and IRS and it still looks good. The car is primairly a bracket racer with most street duty to and from the track. The exhaust has been wrapped over two years with no signs of rust and my interior remains much cooler.
TH350TrannySwap011.jpg

I don't understand why my IMG code doesn't open as a picture.
O-well...gotta go!

Last edited:
This is a picture of my front end being raised for the tranny removal. I have been using a pressure treated 4x4 post about 33 inches long and under the lower control arms for years.
In this picture I dropped the pan for a cleaning and filter change.

The car is up for clearance and the trans ready to go in.

This is the right side going up. Notice the dipstick tube and any ferrous metal was painted POR gloss black.

It was well over two years ago that I finished the underside and IRS and it still looks good. The car is primairly a bracket racer with most street duty to and from the track. The exhaust has been wrapped over two years with no signs of rust and my interior remains much cooler.

I don't understand why my IMG code doesn't open as a picture.
O-well...gotta go!

You put too many http//'s in :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
You put too many http//'s in :lol:[/QUOTE said:
Thanks for clearing up those pictures for me, I appreciate it! I tried uploading directly from my hard drive and still couldn't get it to work. I guess I was tired and it was late.

The motor is nothing special, but clean.

After joining a cruise this weekend with Karsten and his old tranny, I'm swapping in a fresh J&W race prepped tranny and reconditioned converter. They are loosening it up a little to about 2800 stall. It was about 2600.

In another month or so I am sending my block to the machine shop and starting the build of my new motor. It will be a 355 and about 425 HP at the flexplate. I don't want plenty of torque to lose traction, but a consistent bracket racer that will haul me to the track. I still have a few details to work out.

I encourage you to use a factory roller block, like the '89 truck block in my car....factory 4 bolt mains too boot....SO much nicer with factory roller motor setup.....

I've emailed Mike with the same thoughts about just using a newer style 1pc rms block... we'll talk about this when we meet this Saturday:3rd:

I've emailed Mike with the same thoughts about just using a newer style 1pc rms block... we'll talk about this when we meet this Saturday:3rd:

Where you guys meeting at?? I maybe slide down....when?? not up for overnights....2 hrs down not so bad....I even drive the rageddy assed vette...

:hunter:

There's a meeting/show in NewSmyrna this Saturday, Mike has the details...... we'll be meeting in Titusville and then cruise north on 95....