Questions on transmission crossmember

DJ Dep

refugee from the other place
Since I am switching from an auto to a stick shift, I know I need to replace the crossmember that mounts the transmission. The auto crossmember was a bolt-in affair and came out rather easily. However, I now find out that the manual trans mount crossmember is WELDED in. Is this true? Are the replacement crossmembers sold by the Vette aftermarket places a weld-in part or bolt in? Can I just drill the aftermarket part with bolt holes in the same position the bolt holes were for the auto crossmember?

Save yourself 350 bux, use what you have, IF you tranny sat on a bracket that bolts to the cross support, and extended forward to catch the tranny mount, you have no sweat, my car was a muncie, went auto 700, and had to modify the 'shoe' to fit the 700, but it was eliminated when I went to a 200 4r auto....so I have it here still, I think I kicked it the other day, and cut my toe....

:shocking:

Save yourself 350 bux, use what you have, IF you tranny sat on a bracket that bolts to the cross support, and extended forward to catch the tranny mount, you have no sweat, my car was a muncie, went auto 700, and had to modify the 'shoe' to fit the 700, but it was eliminated when I went to a 200 4r auto....so I have it here still, I think I kicked it the other day, and cut my toe....

I prefer a new part. The original is so rusty I don't think I trust it any more. :)

I prefer a new part. The original is so rusty I don't think I trust it any more. :)

Shit man, I never heard of them cross supports being a problem, if it really is more than just surface rust, I"d be going NUTZ over the rest of that frame behind that cross support, kickups as well a the rails themselves....look GOOD and close man....

:crap::amazed:

I think this one on E-Bay is a lot lighter too. It doesn't use all the brackets and bolts that the factory one uses. Plus it bolts in using the old hardware.

I quickly read this, maybe I'm missing something. If you're replacing your stock automatic with a factory Muncie, your removable crossmember will work fine. If you're installing a TKO 5 speed, all you need is a new tranny to crossmember adapter bracket. The kits for a Corvette should include a custom made bracket. The stock auto crossmember will work fine. If you're installing a Richmond, you'll have to adapt the stock tranny/crossmember bracket yourself.

In no way do you want a welded in crossmember. Replacing clutches/ transmission is so much more difficult.

I quickly read this, maybe I'm missing something. If you're replacing your stock automatic with a factory Muncie, your removable crossmember will work fine. If you're installing a TKO 5 speed, all you need is a new tranny to crossmember adapter bracket. The kits for a Corvette should include a custom made bracket. The stock auto crossmember will work fine. If you're installing a Richmond, you'll have to adapt the stock tranny/crossmember bracket yourself.

In no way do you want a welded in crossmember. Replacing clutches/ transmission is so much more difficult.

It will work but it is not a direct swap. There is no mounting brackets on the auto crossmember for the transmission. They have to be welded on. Trans will be an M22.

It will work but it is not a direct swap. There is no mounting brackets on the auto crossmember for the transmission. They have to be welded on. Trans will be an M22.

The bracket I have is from a stock muncie car, and bolted onto the cross support, using the two top holes in the center with your large access hole underneath the cross support....then there are two 'ears' lower center of the cross support, those catch the mount with two more bolts....I would be surprised if this would not fit your cross support....

:sweat:

I would buy a tubular crossmember from BTO, and weld in a tab for the Muncie.