Probably a dumb question

SuperBuickGuy

why not flip a monospring over to get a lower car and avoid the interference issue with the wheel? Worse case scenario (presuming there isn't an immediate interference would be the need for bumpstops on the spring.

The ends of the spring would probably sit way too high, at least with a steel spring.... a fiberglass spring has less arc so it might be possible to install it upside down with very short bolts, however think about this:
if the spring has an arc pointing downward the end of the spring (the lower bolt pivot) moves outwards until the spring is straight.
If it's upside down and the arc is pointing "up" then you would pull on the spring during suspension travel and trying to "stretch" it.

2150105295675f8.jpg

Last edited:
My understanding is that the arch in the spring is part of its dynamic property, flipping it would make it much softer.

My understanding is that the arch in the spring is part of its dynamic property, flipping it would make it much softer.

I've spent lots of years doing 4x4 kind of stuff, and we used to flip springs, cut springs in half, in short, any abuse possible - and they handle different upside down (or even merely as the axle locator) but I've zero experience with composite.

Just eyeballing it today at lunch, the spring would end up above the mounting point if flipped so it would make for an easier install and use... and even if not - Benz spring in Portland Oregon probably could make something that would follow that plan.

Also, if softer - I wonder how much softer? as I mentioned before, I believe in the "softest spring that keeps it off the bumpstops" as possible - and others have mentioned in the forum that even at 350# the spring they consider to be too stiff....