widening a c3

clutchdust

Millionaire Playboy
I can't seem to shake this desire I have to widen my car. I'm not just talking about fender flares either. I would like to widen the entire car by 4" but I do realize that is far beyond my ability to pull off.
However, what I have been thinking of is widening the back end, ala c4 ZR-1. So what I'm thinking is to cut the rear fender just after the door jamb at a bias following the shallowest part of the lateral curve all the way back to the rear bumper mount. As I imagine it the cut would start at about the center of the hump between the b-pillar and the edge of the crease. The line would then go on a gentle arch, maybe only 1-2* all the way to the rear and the final cut would be approximately 4" from the edge of the deck.
I would also have to cut the glass in the wheel well to spread the fender out.
Then I imagine about 2" on either side is what I would really like to do. It would give the car a noticeable but subtle increase in the rear. Needless to say, the bumper would then have to be widened to accommodate the new width.
This would accomplish two things I would like, the first would be purely aesthetic, giving the car an extra little bit of menace. The second is it would be easier to bring those wide 285 rear tires a little bit further in without having to actually add flares. They're currently really close to where I want them now. They're right on the edge of that fender lip. It looks good just like it is, but when I really roll the body, I get some rub.
The other thing I want to do is use a slightly smaller diameter rear tail light, like the ones used in industrial trucking. I can get 36 bulb LEDs and they're about 3/4" smaller in diameter. If I place the smaller light on the same outside edge as the original tail light and then move everything in on a relative gap, it should give me somewhere around 6" more distance between the inner two lights. That's seriously got to make it look wider just like that.
What are your thoughts?

Go for it!
Customizing is a personal taste, and what others have to say just does not matter imho. If you like it then go for it. There will be others that like it, others that hate it, and the purist who will shun you for the rest of your life,lol.

this guy didn't let opinions stop him, some like it some don't, but the important part is he does!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-general/2515029-pictures-of-our-new-c3-c6-z06.html