What is the max temperature for powder coating??

cajos1968

Guy's,

What is the max Temperature for powder coating, with out damaging it?

I know it is a per brand question but roughly. My Geuss would be 350 dgC about 650 dgF?

I'm thinking about powder coating my exhaust, until I can afford a new SS one, would that be possible without burning it off with the first ride?

Cure temp for normal powder is around 400*F but Eastwood (probably others) sell a high temp powder:
Eastwood said:
High temperature powder for header and exhaust manifold applications! We're pleased to present this range of 4 High Temperature Exhaust System coatings similar in color to our popular liquid high temp coatings. These high silicone content powders withstand temperatures up to 1000ºF and offer superior durability when compared to brush and spray-on coatings.

I used it on my exhaust manifolds and it's held up nicely. I haven't had the car on a long trip but since getting it all back together, I've had it running and up to operating temperature numerous times and the powder coat looks the same as when I originally coated it...

http://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-pow...hotcoat-powder-high-temp-stainless-steel.html

I have talked to Eastwood, but that stuff doesn't have a EC approval, so they will not ship. I have contacted others but minimal quantity is 20 kilo.

Now I have some kilo's of black on black industrial stuff. I don't want to do the headers just the pipes.

I will give it a shot and keep an fire extinguisher next to me on the first run ;-)

The Eastwood high temp stuff I used was @450*F, it also stated that you couldn't over cure the powder.

The Eastwood high temp stuff I used was @450*F, it also stated that you couldn't over cure the powder.
Yeah, that sounds about right - 450*F to cook it but it'll withstand 1000*F once it's done.

Cas, I wouldn't like to chance normal powder in a high heat application. I reckon at the least you'll have smoke and a bad smell, a worst maybe a fire. I'm not much help to you cos I'm in Saudi but I'm sure someone would forward the high temp stuff on to you...

No problem, I have a good friend living in NC. Actually in October I'm there for his wedding.

Anyone have a estimate how much is needed for a 72 exhaust system?

No problem! I learned about a trick with a heat gun. I tried a piece and it works great. I wouldn't do "valve covers this way" but an exhaust is no issue.

No problem! I learned about a trick with a heat gun. I tried a piece and it works great. I wouldn't do "valve covers this way" but an exhaust is no issue.
What trick did you learn? And, I don't think you'll need to buy 8lbs of the stuff though, I'm pretty sure Eastwood sell it in smaller amounts - I know I didn't buy 8lbs!

Yes sorry 8oz.

You can cure powder coat with a heat gun! Works great, just don't get the gun to close then air stream will wrinkle the coating. That is a risk, but for stuff hidden away it works great.

That would probably only work on light/thin stuff though as the item being coated needs to come to temperature to melt the powder. When I did my brake calipers, it took about 45 minutes in the oven before the powder started to flow out :twitch: