SPC UCA Race or Street

CollegeKevin

Looking to buy a set of SPC upper control arms to make it a little easier for me to do the alignment myself. I plan on trying autocross but will also be street driven (local cars and coffee meets).

My question is, should I go with the Race version (delrin bushings) thats like $40 cheaper, or the street version (rubber bushings)?

From the pictures it appears the street version will accept a stock ball joint, whereas the race looks like a 4 bolt design for the BJ.

Any info/reviews would help me out deciding.

FYI, I spoke with SPC and apparently they will be releasing a new billet version under part number 97160 in a month or so but will be priced around $1,000 for the set (including ball joint).

You say you spoke with SPC. Was that the company or Mark (Savitske)?
If the company, I suggest you give Mark a call. Make sure you have some time to talk - it might not be a quick answer. He is very knowledgeable. He can also give you some alignment hints too.

His page is: https://scandc.com/
Phone not listed on site (610-346-8154).

Get a copy of his book - How to Make Your Muscle Car Handle.

Cheers - Jim
I'd go bone jarring Delrin personally. The set I got from Mark are 3/4" shafts with thread in ball joints. Setting up to race (since 2009!)

I can check, but it depends on where you mount the two brackets. Just jack the front end up to the point where you want to stop the a arm and lock down the cable. Do one side at a time by jacking one side on the frame. Make sure on full or high compression the slack cable doesn't interfere.

21945f48410c34d31.jpg

Looks around 7" in length, by laying a tape on it.

21945f48410c34d31.jpg

Looks around 7" in length, by laying a tape on it.

Thanks very much. You didn't have to do all that. I was just hoping to order some straps before the arms come. Think they'll be here this weekend so I'll pull it all apart and make something work. I like the cable idea as I have that stuff at work. Maybe a free solution.

Think I'm gonna have to give SPC a call. Wondering if I should use the longer ball joints. Not sure what the advantage is but at full droop the ball joint cup looks a little stressed, not that it will see full droop often.

Attachments

• IMG_20200915_203837__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20200915_203837__01__01.jpg
    751.4 KB · Views: 12
The tall ball joints are sort of a geometry improvement for the old suspension. I think there is a thread on here. Let us know what they say.

I sent Mark a question via email and he got back to me the next day
Hi Jim,

They`re not GM components, they`re Howe Racing. They`re available in .10" increments. What height would you like? FWIW we spent a lot of time testing these and the +.50" you already have worked out best on all of our test cars.

Not the bolt-in type you have but the screw in (rebuildable).

Great service from him.

Cheers - JIm