Go Back   VetteMOD.com > VetteMOD Technical Discussion > Engine

Old 12-05-2020, 02:25 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post

Coleman Racing suggested if I was just running short events that 3 gallon tank would most likely be sufficient. I'm leaning to a 5 - just to make it more difficult to install! Thoughts?

Cheers - Jim
Jim,

Bill Dailey once told me that he would rather have 2.5 gallons in a taller tank than 4 gallons in a short, fat tank. His comment was based on head pressure and better de-aireation of the oil. I think more volume is better for oil cooling, if you need that. I opted for a 7" diameter tank that is 21 or so inches tall - holds just over 3 gallons. I also have a big oil cooler that holds quite a bit of oil.

Pappy

Old 12-05-2020, 02:38 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (683)

Pappy -

I was looking at the Z06 tanks as an idea and thought, hmmm - that might be an approach. Makes good sense from a lateral G loading too. Footprint is just like you mentioned, a narrow (but taller) tank is a little easier to situate. Haven't sourced a tall narrow tank yet - but that is now a focus. Oh yeah, I need to mention nice CF work on your install BTW!

I also plan on a cooler - already have one the shelf so that will be in the system too. It will still have to find a "favored" side left/right, but there will be a place.

Thanks and, Cheers - Jim
Old 12-08-2020, 02:46 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (133)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
Chris - just wondering what ratio are you are running from your Crank to Alt. I'll have a 28 tooth alternator pulley. What size/tooth count Jones are you set with on the crank? {I can't read a PN - so have to ask}

Cheers - Jim
The water pump and crank are 1:1, I forget what the alt is and the car is still at the fab shop... Iíll have to see if I can dig up some records. 1:2.75 is in my head for some reason...
Old 12-08-2020, 11:55 AM
United States | Addict

My Photos: (683)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette427sbc View Post
.. Iíll have to see if I can dig up some records. 1:2.75 is in my head for some reason...
Chris - I'd bet that might be close. Don't work too hard on finding the details. I probably don't want over 16-18K on the alternator, and with max 7K on engine >> 16/7 = 2.28 ; 18/7 = 2.57 (16/6 = 2.66)

Thanks and, Cheers - Jim