C1 Carbon Fiber Radiator Duct

mfain

I had the motor out of my 62 a while back to do some engine bay clean-up, and decided I would finish the carbon fiber grill-to-radiator duct/diffuser that I started last year. The purpose is to keep the airflow more laminar for engine cooling improvement (just in case a bigger motor ends up between the fenders?). Here are some photos of the finished duct without the grill or radiator installed.

Pappy

Corvette 62 CF -1.jpg

Corvette 62 CF-2.jpg

Corvette 62 CF-3.jpg

Corvette 62 CF-4.jpg

That turned out nice. Who did you buy your supplies from?

That turned out nice. Who did you buy your supplies from?

Thanks. I use a local supplier in Glendale, AZ (West side of Phoenix) called Sticky Stuff. Occasionally I will order on-line from FibreGlast - they are pretty quick with deliveries.

Pappy

Looks real nice. Very well done, Pappy!

Cheers - Jim

Fiberglast is good - but (for me) I find US Composites has good value - and quick - even though I gotta pay FL sales Tax. :(

I'm going to try "skinning" a hard top with cf later this summer. Lots of YouTube videos. Someone recommended this forum/site:
http://www.compositescentral.com

Haven't gone there too much yet. Just an FYI for others interested in this cf topic.

I'm going to try "skinning" a hard top with cf later this summer. Lots of YouTube videos. Someone recommended this forum/site:
http://www.compositescentral.com

Haven't gone there too much yet. Just an FYI for others interested in this cf topic.

Good input. I normally build a buck, pull a mold off the buck, and then build my carbon fiber part in the mold. For the roof on my 56 track car, I used the outside surface of the original top as the mold and pulled the carbon fiber part off the outside. This left a smooth, exposed carbon fiber interior that serves as the headliner. I used 2 layers of 2X2 twill carbon and an outside layer of fiberglass mat on the outside. I sanded the outside smooth and it will be pained body color.

A couple more photos. The first is a buck for the brake cooling duct work for my 56 track car. It goes from the opening in the lower part of the air dam, under the crossmember, and has 4 outlets for 3 inch brake cooling silicon hoses. The second is a heater box for my 62 and a heater valve I built to move the inlet outboard so you can get a big block valve cover off without butchering the air valve opening. That piece is carbon fiber, but painted to blend in with the firewall. The piece in the upper right is one of the brake cooling inlets inside the grill of my 56. The last picture is my brothers 51 Jag (with C6 suspension and a stout, injected LS) for which I am getting ready to build a complete carbon fiber duct/diffuser from the grill opening to the radiator.

Pappy

Pappy

56 brake duct plug 1.jpg

New Image.JPG

Jag motor rotated.jpg