Front Monospring install problem

Do your mounts look like gkz's? In his picture, I can't see how it could be hitting the corss member.

Maybe it is time for a BFH.

My 72 crossmember is so beat up from jacking up the car I know it wouldn't touch.

By the way, you need to come see the 72. It is wicked!

Well Jeff I took a hammer to the crossmember. It was just a framing hammer though, I coulda used a 5 pounder but didnt have one. I swung as hard as I could and it didnt budge! I bolted everything back up and went a touch tighter on my the spring adjustment bolts maybe that will pull it away. If not Im cutting and welding I guess :confused:

I tightened the spring bolts up a bit and got about a 1/4 inch of clearance. I am still probably gonna cut out a spot and weld it back up so I can go lower in the front. I really liked the stance when it was touching :trumpet:

Doesn't really matter if it's touching, leave it as is.

The touching is a droop issue, there's hardly any load on it, not a problem at all.

Lets say I lower the car again to the point it is touching the crossmember again. While its on the ground that is, so the spring is under load and is still touching. Fiberglass against metal coupled with vibration and movement I would think you would run into a wear issue

BlackBetty, your spring looks to be about 1/2" thicker than "GKZ". Maybe it's just my old eyes or the picture or nothing..

very old thread but I agree, the spring does look "thicker" ... maybe not 1/2" but thicker than the other spring.....

When those bolts are mounted upside down they will wear a groove in the frame.
Don't ask me how I know! I thought of using 6-1/2" bolts instead.