82 with 377 and T56

Vince'82

just wanted to say hello from France guys.

I'm building/restoring a 82 coupe (not collector)

I started after I bent a rod a few years ago.
the only part I kept from stock engine is the block. I installed an eagle forged stroker kit w/ 6" h-beam and flat top srp pistons (10.3:1 CR). I decked the block, but it didn't need to be bored so I only honed the cylinders.
the camshaft is an hydro-roller with ZZ383 specs and 1.6 roller rockers.
heads are a set of AFR195 (not the new ones). I polished both chamber and exhaust ports (not sure it was needed).

on top of this, I'm using an old Edelbrock SY1 manifold with a custom top plate to be able to use a crossfire injection. throttle bodies are bored to 2.13" and I have an EBL+PROMinator mod for my truck ecm ('7747).

fuel circuit will use 2 pumps and a fuel swirl pot so I can road race my car without modifying the tank (not that easy with the thick bladder inside).

for tranny, I'm using a rebuilt&upgraded LT1-T56 with an aluminium flywheel, a McLeod disc and an LT4 pressure plate.

for brakes, I'm using stock rotors&calipers (o-ringed). my plan are to upgrade to Wilwood brakes (13" front) later. I have fitted an hydroboost to help.

I have not done much to suspensions. they are rebuilt to FE7 specs with poly bushings (only added a poly smartstrut to the rear). I used a steeroids steering rack. plan to upgrade to coilovers later.

diff is the stock dana 44 with a 3.73 gears set. if I break it, I'll replace it with an iron diff.

I've redone every weld on the frame and added a few gussets.

I don't know what I can add...

maybe a few pictures of my project :D

P1010202.jpg
P1010230.jpg

I still have a lot of work before I can even start the engine.

/Vince

Nice work. Welcomw to VetteMOD

Can you provide further information on your fuel system?

fuel circuit will use 2 pumps and a fuel swirl pot so I can road race my car without modifying the tank (not that easy with the thick bladder inside).

thanks for the welcome.

Here is the swirl pot/surge tank. it takes 1 liter (a little over a quart) of fuel
P1030396.jpg

I'll have 2 fuel circuits with the fuel pot used as a buffer.
1st one is a low pressure which fill the pot. I will use a low pressure pump which send fuel from tank to the pot (one of the two -6AN on the side). overflow will go back to the tank through top fitting. I won't use any fuel pressure regulator there. the pot will then be always full (no air).

another pump will pick fuel in the pot (bottom -8AN fitting) and send it to the throttle bodies (parallel plumbed with a Y-block).
then both throttle bodies return lines will go to the fuel pressure regulator and then back to the fuel pot (the 2nd -6AN on the side).

with this fuel system, you don't need to weld a sump under the stock tank, baffle the tank or add foam in the tank. it's another way to have a constant fuel of flow the the injectors so engine doesn't stall in a corner or at least go really lean.

here is a little diagram:
swirl2.jpg

if you don't see it, you can go there (and get a better explanation):
http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/impala/1012/cars/tech/swirl/swirlfaq.html

Last edited:
Vince, do you have more pics of the manifold/TB area? Interested in what you did with the SY1. Thanks.

~Tom

Vince, do you have more pics of the manifold/TB area? Interested in what you did with the SY1. Thanks.
I've not done much. I got this setup from Lionden. all I had to do was to bolt it.

here are a few pics

p1000757.jpg
p1000783.jpg
P1010334.jpg
P1010397.jpg

mot09-02.jpg
mot09-03.jpg
mot09-11.jpg
mot09-14.jpg
mot09-15.jpg
mot09-17.jpg
P1010498.jpg