Inexpensive headlight mod.

So it is the same modification and I need to get my Saturn/Mercury bulbs at the Zone for $5 ????

Saturn/Mercury/Aquarius are right around the block here somewhere, along with Mars and Venus, and and and etc so forth....

whole hood is space cadet oriented like in Florida just in the glide path of the space shuttle....

:trumpet::trumpet:

Jeff, the "kit" to do the headlight mod that MAD talk about is $24.
Each kit includes:
  • RELAY
    Relay wire harness connector, connector body and individual terminals will be assembled for custom fit
  • 18 gauge fusible link wire kit
  • M.A.D.'s Tuff-Wire, for wiring
  • package of tinned copper wire terminals
  • 3M shrinkable tubing
  • And the 22 page manual is an "all about relays" book,
  • 15 wiring diagrams for popular applications,
  • and enough information to create and design custom systems too.
  • (relay kit parts are not sold separately)

How does that compare to what you said you paid for parts to do the same job? There's probably a shop out here that sells stuff like that but I don't know where and I don't want to waste a sizeable chunk of my life looking for it when I can buy something like this that's "ready to go".

Of course, the offer is still there Jeff, you make me an "upgrade harness" and post it to me and I send you some money! :thumbs:

How does that compare to what you said you paid for parts to do the same job? There's probably a shop out here that sells stuff like that but I don't know where and I don't want to waste a sizeable chunk of my life looking for it when I can buy something like this that's "ready to go".

Of course, the offer is still there Jeff, you make me an "upgrade harness" and post it to me and I send you some money! :thumbs:

Wayne, When Scott was ready to do his, he had a quote for $150 for the low/high beam kit from them. Last night he told me he thought they were Kaputt.(Out of business)

Very timely post Bird! A coworker just gave me a set of Cibie H1 and H4s. I plan on adding relays when I install the lights.

I found a website that has a lot of good info on car lighting. Its Daniel Stern Lighting Cunsultancy and Supply. He has a wiring diagram for adding relays and having all 4 lights on for brights.

By the way, I don't think the Xenon set is too far out of sight at $400. A set of Cibie lights will go for about $350 plus you still need all the relays and wiring. Not sure how the Xenons quality compares with Cibies though.

I have read on many forums,and electric sites about adding the relays,so I decided to redo mine also.as I looked at all of the examples I do not see ANY information as to what gets done to the wires coming from the relays to the headlights themselves.I understand if you use the original lights you would not need to re-wire from the relays to all four lights.
Now say you were to ugrade to lights fron Lectric Limited the guide reproduction these are 25% brighter with no increase in required voltage, Seems to me that the original wiring is fine and does not need any changes.
Now my question/questions are what/when would you need to increase wire size to headlamps ??
What are standard bulbs ( 35 ) ?? Wattage compared to say larger/brighter bulbs.
Does 50 watts need an upgrade,what about 100 watt bulbs.
Relays ?? is it acceptable to run a groung from one relay to the next and then ground only the last wire ( to help keep clutter to a minimun .
I have asked this elsewhere with only a response the that person had run a larger gage wire to each headlight,seems this is the(safer/correct) way to do the upgrade if you are using any sort of lights that are more powerful.

The relay actuation coil that runs off the headlight switch setup, is drawing almost NO current, so any way you can ground that LO side of the coil is fine...no matter....

the higher current/heavier wire goes to one set of contacts and from the other to the headlights in the same gauge/current ability....
the GROUNDS off the higher current headlights go to the frame as if stock, but you need a heavier wire and fastening loop....

:drink: