Seatbelts....

mrvette

Phantom of the Opera
My '72 came with just lap belts, NO shoulder belts, I do have the mounts up top of the rear fender, I understand rear camaro belts are supposed to fit well for the renewal....so I also note the seats in early sharks had slots in that metal trim plate and the belt passed through the seat, mine of course does not do that.....any huge over riding reason I have to mod the seats IF I went the shoulder belt changeover??? Being tall in the backbone anyway, would make that almost useless because my shoulder is above the hole about 3-4" anyway...

suggestions???

:hunter:

I put the camaro rears on my 75 convertable, the shoulder belt part goes around the seat back and works just fine.

You don't have the hanger the coupes have.

Great, thanks guys.....next question....U pullit yard...what type fastener is the anchor bolts in those F bodies???

hex, torx.....size?? just so I don't have to carry 1/2 the shop with me....

thanks again....

:smash::twitch:

Nobody is using the rear seats in a F-body anyways, if you're taller than 4' you won't fit in those seats LOL

You should be able to tell if the car was in a high speed crash or not... if the body is in decent shape I would not worry too much about the rear seatbelts, they're likely in better shape than the 30+ year old belts in the C3....

Nobody is using the rear seats in a F-body anyways, if you're taller than 4' you won't fit in those seats LOL

You should be able to tell if the car was in a high speed crash or not... if the body is in decent shape I would not worry too much about the rear seatbelts, they're likely in better shape than the 30+ year old belts in the C3....

YEH, I hear you the lap belts were replaced 15 years ago in this car, but they are tired again....so thinking of another redo,....now to find tan/brown belts outta some F body....

:shocking::hissyfit:

Fair enough. I'm replacing mine but I was able to find NOS ones :thumbs:

Fair enough. I'm replacing mine but I was able to find NOS ones :thumbs:

NOS?? Jesus, 30 y/o too, but unused...

I ran into a thing years ago about a resto I was doing, needed belts and asked my trim guy to redo the ends on the buckle as they were frayed a bit....he balked and said that even though his machine could redo the exact pattern same material, same yarn, HIS machine was not 'certified' by some testing lab or other from safety mavens, and therefore could not be used as a safety item in my car....

I heard that and just said....fuck it...PLease do the belts....

he relented and stitched them......but that is the insanity of the shituation...

freeking lawyers...that happend nearly in '89-90 just after the ex left...

SO as olde car guys, needing pass some safety maven exam, the belts have that white sticker sewn in there, it's fine....but they can be dry and work thin as t-shirts....but you better not remove that TAG under penalty of LAW....

:crap::bs:

These F-body seatbelts don't fit the 78-82 models so I was pretty happy that MidAmerica offers repro seatbelts. They're pricey but they fit and work.

These are the F body belts, work like a charm!

549db6174d7332.jpg

TT, that beige plastic box over the ledge there, is that from the vette or the F body?? I have nothing like that, of course....so does that limit the conversion to a shoulder belt???

or where to get them??? are the just cosmetic or structural???

:bonkers:

This is what comes with them.
Good enough for the girls I know. :rose:

DSC03545.jpg

...I ran into a thing years ago about a resto I was doing, needed belts and asked my trim guy to redo the ends on the buckle as they were frayed a bit....he balked and said that even though his machine could redo the exact pattern same material, same yarn, HIS machine was not 'certified' by some testing lab or other from safety mavens, and therefore could not be used as a safety item in my car...
Years ago when I was racing speedway, I asked the Safety Equipment Worker at the air force squadron I was at, to repair/remanufacture some old racing harnesses. He said the same thing, that he couldn't do it legally etc etc etc even though he made aircraft harnesses :bonkers:

...I ran into a thing years ago about a resto I was doing, needed belts and asked my trim guy to redo the ends on the buckle as they were frayed a bit....he balked and said that even though his machine could redo the exact pattern same material, same yarn, HIS machine was not 'certified' by some testing lab or other from safety mavens, and therefore could not be used as a safety item in my car...
Years ago when I was racing speedway, I asked the Safety Equipment Worker at the air force squadron I was at, to repair/remanufacture some old racing harnesses. He said the same thing, that he couldn't do it legally etc etc etc even though he made aircraft harnesses :bonkers:

Yeh, yet another FM about overdone .gov regs.....

:clobbered:

TT, that beige plastic box over the ledge there, is that from the vette or the F body?? I have nothing like that, of course....so does that limit the conversion to a shoulder belt???

The beige plastic is a stock C3 cover. I removed the plastic thing from the F body belts, it's held together with 2 pop rivets so easily taken off. I don't remember 100% exactly but I think I modified the seat belt guide on the F body case so that the belt exits to the top so the C3 cover fits.

The beige plastic is a stock C3 cover. I removed the plastic thing from the F body belts, it's held together with 2 pop rivets so easily taken off. I don't remember 100% exactly but I think I modified the seat belt guide on the F body case so that the belt exits to the top so the C3 cover fits.

so apparently I have to use the F body cover and it works ok....I can go black or tan/brown for the belts I"m looking for....

maybe today, will see how much gets done....

I have these belts in my 73 and they work Great. The torx bit to remove from the F body is t-50 use to be 49 I forget when they changed.

What have you guys been using for a mount on the B post for the shoulder harness? Mine were missing on the 74 so I used some off an S10 but, they are really to short and make the belts uncomfortable.